New to the MPC production world? Got a music production question that's not really specific to any particular MPC? Try your luck here and get help from our experienced members.
By Conor1992 Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:32 pm
Hi Everyone,

Hope you're having a nice day. So my MPC had these lines appear on it:
And it seemed to be getting more and more lines appearing horizontally across the screen. Just wondered if I could get a 2nd opinion from you guys.

So I sent it to Akai to be repaired and they told me it was water damage, but I know for a fact that I have not spilt anything near it and have taken extra care to ensure it stays in good condition. So now I am faced with having to fork out a large sum to repair the MPC which I believe is not a fault of mine and it is just a faulty device. I was wondering if anyone could provide me with their opinion on this, these are the pictures Akai repair sent me to demonstrate water damage, does this look like water damage to you?

Also should I ask for any more pictures, like some of the motherboard to see if theres anything faulty there?
I feel a bit like I'm being mugged off here as I know I have taken care of my MPC and to be told that its water damage is a hard pill to swallow.

Thanks for reading
By Lampdog Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:37 am
So sorry to say but the repair pics look like the same hard water stains you'd see on a glass shower door (Calcium and/or Lime).

As if water got dropped in there, dried up and left the stains in there.

Did you buy it used? If so, maybe that was there when you bought it and you never knew?!
By Conor1992 Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:53 pm
Thanks for your response, appreciate it.

I bought it brand new when it first came out actually, back in October last year. The lines started appearing about 3 months after I had bought it and more and more horizontal lines appeared across the screen. I just thought I had a faulty product, so I left it til late in my Warranty to return it. I just don't know how water would have got in there. Do you know if theres some sort of way to check if the water did actually have an impact on the lines appearing of whether it might just be a fault of the product?

Thanks,
Conor
By Conor1992 Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:00 pm
it may have been a bit cold in there during the winter, but I never thought it would be that damp to cause this to happen. Nightmare!
Thanks for helping anyway guys, guess it looks like I'll have to either sell it or pay for it to be repaired.