New to the MPC production world? Got a music production question that's not really specific to any particular MPC? Try your luck here and get help from our experienced members.
By CRoe27 Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:13 pm
Greetings! I was recently gifted an MPC Studio Black for the holidays (My first MPC ever) and I'm slowly learning the MPC software that it came with; I also have FL Studio 12 which I am more familiar with, but by far no expert. I guess my question is this: Can the MPC workflow be supplemented with FL Studio, or can I achieve much of the same tasks in the MPC software as I could in FL? I think I'll mostly use the MPC for chopping/sampling but I'd like to incorporate some piano/synths with my MPK mini midi controller. Anyone use these two programs and could provide some insight? Sorry if this has already been asked, but I did use the search function and came up dry. Thanks in advance for the help.
By quietizkept Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:12 pm
I personally made the switch from FL 11 to the MPC software by itself. I use the MPK mini II (the one with the joystick) with the MPC software. I had some issues that I finally narrowed down to my USB cable. I slapped on one of the ones with the barrel on the cord & no problems since. I used these instructions : http://www.noterepeat.com/products/akai ... essentials
I personally haven't used FL in a year. Once I got over the learning curve, I found the MPC software to be fantastic & conducive to creativity. For many, so is FL. MPC software can run vst instruments too, so it MAY be all you need our want. If you're dead set on using the instruments fom FL, I'm sure you could use FL as a vst plugin in the MPC software. Of course it works the other way too, with MPC as a plugin in FL, however, many have reported issues with MPC as a plugin.
I'd say it'd be just fine & plenty to just use the MPC software. It comes with some very usable instruments. If you haven't tried them out I recommend you download them from AKAI Pro & give them a shot. Plus, Xpand!2 is $1 around the web now & has a gang of sounds. After you get your instruments set up & scanned, just change the track type to "plugin," choose your weapon and give it hell. I strongly prefer not being stuck to recording from the 1 beat, as I believe you are in FL (someone correct me if I'm wrong-o). With the MPC software, I can jam over my beat & just reach over & tap "over dub" with my other hand. Sometimes my riffs don't start on the one & being locked to the count-in then GO threw me off often.
However, if you end up preferring FL as your host, I'm sure someone around the web has a mapping for the Studio to use with FL (for the FPC and probably more).
All that said lol they'll both get it done. It's all down to personal preference, and you got as I see it, 4 options:
1. just MPC
2. just FL
3. FL as a plugin in MPC (so you can use FL plugins in MPC lol)
4. MPC as a plugin in FL (so you can use MPC for chopping or banging pads for drums...probably other stuff to, I'm not sure off top)

All this assumes you have your VST plugins in a specific folder, that you'd want your host software (MPC or FL) to point to & scan in options/preferences.

:mrgreen: You got some experimenting to do! :popcorn:
Last edited by quietizkept on Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By CRoe27 Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:18 am
quietizkept wrote:I personally made the switch from FL 11 to the MPC software by itself. I use the MPK mini II (the one with the joystick) with the MPC software. I had some issues that I finally narrowed down to my USB cable. I slapped on one of the ones with the barrel on the cord & no problems since. I used these instructions : http://www.noterepeat.com/products/akai ... essentials
I personally haven't used FL in a year. Once I got over the learning curve, I found the MPC software to be fantastic & conducive to creativity. For many, so is FL. MPC software can run vst instruments too, so it MAY be all you need our want. If you're dead set on using the instruments fom FL, I'm sure you could use FL as a vst plugin in the MPC software. Of course it works the other way too, with MPC as a plugin in FL, however, many have reported issues with MPC as a plugin.
I'd say it'd be just fine & plenty to just use the MPC software. It comes with some very usable instruments. If you haven't tried them out I recommend you download them from AKAI Pro & give them a shot. Plus, Xpand!2 is $1 around the web now & has a gang of sounds. After you get your instruments set up & scanned, just change the track type to "plugin," choose your weapon and give it hell. I strongly prefer not being stuck to recording from the 1 beat, as I believe you are in FL (someone correct me if I'm wrong-o). With the MPC software, I can jam over my beat & just reach over & tap "over dub" with my other hand. Sometimes my riffs don't start on the one & being locked to the count-in then GO threw me off often.
However, if you end up preferring FL as your host, I'm sure someone around the web has a mapping for the Studio to use with FL (for the FPC and probably more).
All that said lol they'll both get it done. It's all down to personal preference, and you got as I see it, 4 options:
1. just MPC
2. just FL
3. FL as a plugin in MPC (so you can use FL plugins in MPC lol)
4. MPC as a plugin in FL (so you can use MPC for chopping or banging pads for drums...probably other stuff to, I'm not sure off top)

All this assumes you have your VST plugins in a specific folder, that you'd want your host software (MPC or FL) to point to & scan in options/preferences.

:mrgreen: You got some experimenting to do! :popcorn:

Dude, Thank you for the informative response! I'm really feeling this MPC software so maybe I'll stick with it and ditch FL for the time being. I'm having really bad latency issues now, so once I get that figured out I'm going to mess around with the plugins in the MPC software and start digging deep into it. Thanks a lot for the tips, I really appreciate it.
By quietizkept Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:23 pm
My pleasure. I had to edit for clarity a few times b4 hitting submit.....my brain is so LOOPY. But yeah, this place is a great resource. Been a long time since I contributed. Maybe you should start a new thread about latency, for the sake of keeping it one-topic-per-thread. Be sure to include every bit of info you can think of, and I bet we can get you sorted.
By CRoe27 Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:23 pm
Will do. I've actually got the latency to a workable position until I can snag an external audio interface and some decent speakers. Thanks again for the response, it was a big help