New to the MPC production world? Got a music production question that's not really specific to any particular MPC? Try your luck here and get help from our experienced members.
By Change Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:02 pm
Hi guys,

Sorry for the very basic questions! :hmmm:
Sorry if this has been answered before but because I dont know what I want, its hard to search for it!

I will start at the end goal and maybe someone can offer advice of the best way to get there!
I rap and regularly perform live and would like to add live beat making, then rapping over it, to my sets.

I have a little bit of production experience but nothing with drum pads (although I did drum when I was younger), MPCs or even anything other than a keyboard as a midi interface!

How easy is it to program a MPCs? I currently use Reaper on my PC.
Would you need a laptop to connect to a MPC to do a live set or will most MPCs hold the samples on them, so it would just be a case of hooking it up to the PA?

If anyone could offer up some MPCs to look at that are good for beginners/budget and would enable me to make a beat live and then rap over it.

I've spent the last week or so watching youtube videos and I still dont really know what I'm after :oops:

Thanks all for your help! :worthy:
By conrad Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:06 am
The newer software MPCs (Studio, Ren, Touch etc) require a laptop or computer.

The older hardware MPCs are standalone.

2000/2000XL
60/60II

I own a 1000 you can transfer samples via USB but it's not required to function. The 5000 and 4000 I believe have similar although i have never owned them so not sure on exact details, although I believe the 4000 requires a program called AkSys which apparently crashes a lot.

The 2500 is similar to the 1000

The 3000 and 60(II) are the originals and although are great machines, are showing their age in terms of convenience especially getting samples in and out.

The 500 I owned for a week, sold it straight away, not for me having used rack mounts like the S3000XL and software.

I also own a studio and a 3K, they hardly get used I keep going back to the 1000.

There is a newer software MPC

MPC X Standalone which is hybrid and will connect to a laptop and run the MPC Software like the studio/ren/touch but also works standalone. I haven't seen how this works in practice.

Personally given what you've said about your requirements. (you didn't say if standalone was important just if they were) I would look at, especially if your used to software you may find a 3000 a step back too far:

MPC1000/2500
MPCStudio/Ren
MPC Standalone X

But ultimately only you know what will work for you, if you can borrow or try out some one else's I would highly recommend it.

BTW My MPC1000 is upgraded to JJOS 2XL which is a serious upgrade, it makes the device so much more usable I would recommend if buying this device to factor that into the cost, along with the PAD upgrade as a second hand 1000 is likely to have dodgy pads, the pad upgrade fixes this.

1 Item in the JJOS really worth a mention is :
Naming samples. - on the original os you have to type in the name by pressing the pads they have 3 or 4 letters to each pad and you have to press the pad 3 times to get the third letter with JJOS you just usse the data encoder wheel.

There is a video here from a forum member with some more :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AOZyiPUsaM

--
By Living Bate Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:43 am
If you want it ASAP get an MPC Touch or MPC Studio and just mixdown your beats to CD for live performances . .

If you can wait get an MPC Live . .

Personal opinion is that if you've got a good rapper on stage it doesn't really matter where the beats are coming from . . . Some bloke in the background banging on pads is borderline irrelevant . .
By Ian Canefire Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:57 pm
HI,
It depends on if you need samples or not.
If you just want a beat then a decent sounding drum machine is all you need.
If you want to add unique sounds then you need a sampler.

Next the size might be important and connectivity to a house PA system.

With all of that in mind I recommend a keyboard like the roland fantom S61.
It is a 61 note keyboard that can sample, has great sounds and it has drum pads and the easiest sequencer to learn.

If you can afford the Fantom x6 then spring for that it is slightly more expensive and has more polyphony and color screen and a better sample storage option.

Why: you will be able to make a drum beat in seconds with great internal sounds, you will have 16 tracks to layer other sounds as well. You can have it loop, with or without swing, and you have the versatility of having keys. WIth all the keys in front of you you can put samples in a specific area so that you can trigger them when you want to.

MPCs are cool for sure, I own a mpc4000. However the speed at which you can do the same things is much faster in the roland fantom S/X. They designed an extremely intuitive piece of gear. One button touch and you are playing chords, over a drum pattern, while another sound has arpeggiation. You can run your mic thru the unit and put efx on your vocal.

Singing behind a keyboard is a natural look for stage performance also. You can dance around behind a key board just as you can behind a MPC.

Advantage keyboard because you get more manipulation.

Fantom S61 is around US$500.

Cheers,
Ian