New to the MPC production world? Got a music production question that's not really specific to any particular MPC? Try your luck here and get help from our experienced members.
By logjamparty Mon May 29, 2017 7:29 pm
Browsed YouTube and the like and can't seem to find answers to my question.

Question is fairly straight forward. Its about getting samples on to the MPC. Most of my samples I record straight in to Pro Tools. I know I can sample on the MPC, and probably will for certain things, but the i/o in my studio makes this much harder because the analog outputs of my Symphony are routed to external hardware, headphone sends, etc. Having to patch in and out every time I wanted to record to the MPC would be a step I'd like to avoid if at all possible.

I'd like to be able to take a sample I've made, a guitar track, drum track, etc, and just drag from my Mac to the MPC. Is this possible? My fear is that I'll have to drag files to a thumb drive, then take the thumb drive and plug it in the MPC.

I'm deciding between the Touch and Live. Whichever makes it easier to get samples from my Mac on to the MPC is the direction I want to go. I know the MPC Live has a slot for a hard drive, and that seems huge to me. Just want to make sure I can drag straight from the Mac on to the MPC without having to move a thumb or external drive. I know the Live has Wifi built in, and hopefully in the future I could transfer samples over Wifi. That would be a big plus to the Live.

Overall, any users have experience with both, and have any thoughts about how workflow is different on the two?
By starmanwarz Tue May 30, 2017 6:35 pm
You can't drag files to the MPC Touch as it doesn't have internal storage. Instead, you'd have to drag your sample into 2.0 software.

MPC Live has internal storage (which can't be accessed atm) and other storage options, in which you can drag your samples while you are connected to the computer, in controller mode.

While you are in standalone mode, you can't transfer files by dragging and dropping.
By MPC-Tutor Tue May 30, 2017 6:57 pm
logjamparty wrote:I'd like to be able to take a sample I've made, a guitar track, drum track, etc, and just drag from my Mac to the MPC. Is this possible? My fear is that I'll have to drag files to a thumb drive, then take the thumb drive and plug it in the MPC.

Drag it direct into the computer version of the MPC Software. Works for all MPC software controllers, so MPC Touch is fine if you are happy always being connected to the computer.