New to the MPC production world? Got a music production question that's not really specific to any particular MPC? Try your luck here and get help from our experienced members.
By Moin Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:08 pm
Hey, I'm new here. To summarize, I've been rapping as a hobby for a while using existing instrumentals on Youtube and gotten considerably good. I'm getting to the point where the existing instrumentals online doesn't give me the creative control I want to create a full length song. In other words, perhaps I'd like to create an intro using a different approach for 8 bars. Same goes for the outro. Or perhaps, I may want to switch the beat up transitioning to the hook instead of having the standard loop. I want to start producing and I've looked at the MPC Live and MPC Touch. Can the MPC Touch do everything I need that the MPC Live can besides the fact that the MPC Live is standalone? Why would I consider the Live over the Touch and vice versa? I can probably find an MPC Touch for 400-600 dollar range while the MPC Live is retailed at $1200.

P.S. If I buy a used MPC Touch, can I still get the MPC 2.0 software?
By MPC-Tutor Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:22 pm
Yes, the Touch and Live effectively run the same software (you will apparently be entitled to 2.0), so if you have no need for a standalone MPC the Touch is going to provide a virtually identical experience. However some people have claimed the Live has a more responsive screen, but the Touch is still very responsive. The Live has a better audio interface vs the Touch (in terms of connections), but the Touch's interface is fine for most day-to-day tasks. If you are happy being connected to your computer, then the Touch provides the best value.
By Living Bate Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:46 pm
MPC-Tutor wrote:If you are happy being connected to your computer, then the Touch provides the best value.

especially if you are just starting out....there is always the chance that you won't take to it.....

a few of my pals who were very competent rappers always fancied the idea of making beats....but put them in front of an MPC and they'd get frustrated and lose interest quite quickly....
By Moin Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:31 am
Living Bate wrote:
MPC-Tutor wrote:If you are happy being connected to your computer, then the Touch provides the best value.

especially if you are just starting out....there is always the chance that you won't take to it.....

a few of my pals who were very competent rappers always fancied the idea of making beats....but put them in front of an MPC and they'd get frustrated and lose interest quite quickly....

I'm guessing that happened because the classic MPCs and even the Renaissance lacked the visual ease that the Touch and Live now have. I'm going to go for the MPC Touch.