New to the MPC production world? Got a music production question that's not really specific to any particular MPC? Try your luck here and get help from our experienced members.
By juskutgavino Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:46 pm
Hi, I just had a few questions.

I want to get the MPC 500 and I know you need a turntable, the one I have is a completely modded Numark PT01 Scratch w/preamp and the m44-7 shure needle and more, now my question is:

1. Do I need a mixer to record my vinyl collection in the MPC 500 or can I just use the turntable since it already has the preamp?
2. Can the MPC 500 record my vinyl straight or do I need a computer?
3. Do you guys know how to mod an MPC 500 so it can use a battery bank instead of regular batteries?

So I'm strictly gonna be using the MPC 500 alone, so please don't recommend better MPC's. THANKS!
By Lampdog Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:00 pm
Hi, I just had a few questions.

I want to get the MPC 500 and I know you need a turntable
You don't NEED a turntable, if you want one, cool.

1. Do I need a mixer to record my vinyl collection in the MPC 500 or can I just use the turntable since it already has the preamp?
The mixer is for pre-amp, eq, and other mixer control stuff. Your choice, pre-amp is no concern to you.

Use RECORD IN (analog) or USB MODE (digital)

Use USB <---> computer and transfer samples to 500 storage, load from 500 storage to RAM and play on playa.

USB is NOT for MIDI or CONTROL or soundcard duties. STRICTLY for transfer of files. USB mode turns the 500 into a USB device, same as you'd see a camera attached to a computer.

3. Do you guys know how to mod an MPC 500 so it can use a battery bank instead of regular batteries?
Anything is possible. I could figure it out, I'm good with batt trees and shit.

So I'm strictly gonna be using the MPC 500 alone, so please don't recommend better MPC's. THANKS!
I recommend 2500 w/ jjos, it's like MPC 500+2000 more numbers so it's gotta be cool right?
By juskutgavino Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:15 pm
Lampdog wrote:Hi, I just had a few questions.

I want to get the MPC 500 and I know you need a turntable
You don't NEED a turntable, if you want one, cool.

The mixer is for pre-amp, eq, and other mixer control stuff. Your choice, pre-amp is no concern to you.

Use RECORD IN (analog) or USB MODE (digital)

Use USB <---> computer and transfer samples to 500 storage, load from 500 storage to RAM and play on playa.

USB is NOT for MIDI or CONTROL or soundcard duties. STRICTLY for transfer of files. USB mode turns the 500 into a USB device, same as you'd see a camera attached to a computer.

Anything is possible. I could figure it out, I'm good with batt trees and ****.

I recommend 2500 w/ jjos, it's like MPC 500+2000 more numbers so it's gotta be cool right?

OH.. Ok cool, well that's all I really wanted know, been wanting to put my vinyls to use and create my own sound, been reading a lot of things saying I NEED a mixer or I NEED a preamp to put my vinyls inside an MPC 500. But overall as long as I can put it in there and mess around with it then I'm good. Anyway you can help me mod that battery pack? haha

thanks btw and sorry for double post, just didn't know which one to post it on lol.
By Ill-Green Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:49 pm
You only need a preamp if the turntable's output is phono. The PT01 has a switch from line level to phono if you choose to include a mixer. Adding an EQ or line level preamp in between the 500 and PT01 wouldn't hurt though, it'll actually fatten your samples.
By tapedeck Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:20 pm
juskutgavino wrote:1. Do I need a mixer to record my vinyl collection in the MPC 500 or can I just use the turntable since it already has the preamp?

you dont need a mixer, you've already got the preamp.

juskutgavino wrote:2. Can the MPC 500 record my vinyl straight or do I need a computer?

you do not need a computer.

cool portable setup. :mrgreen:
By sedinuf Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:40 pm
Juskutgavino, do you mod PT01 professionally?? Have 1 n want it modded!! Brand new in box. Tried calling Open Format but no answer. What would u charge me 2 mod mine?? Please let me know. Thanks