New to the MPC production world? Got a music production question that's not really specific to any particular MPC? Try your luck here and get help from our experienced members.
By Isti16 Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:18 pm
Hello guys, in the last days I read topics on this forum like 24/7 trying to understand the concept on which the mpc is based and the differences between them. I am quite new to producing, I try to make beats like everyday basiclly I am sampling jazz,soul,funk blues,psy rock,classic rock etc. I am a huge hip hop head, I really love this music since I was born and I dedicated most of my life to this art writing and supporting the culture.
Back in time, when I was introduced to Dilla and Madlib I became interested in beats, like obssesed.
So now to the subject, I don't really like the software route, I usually use FL being so easy but I don't feel like it suits me.I really want a mpc, I used in the past and Axiom 25(midi controller) and it made everything more fun,but as I mainly used the pads and etc I am interested in an mpc.Seeing what Dilla did with one amazed me, so now I know if I dedicate myself everyday non-stop, I can master it too.
I've come across a cheap MPC Touch (second hand) for about 350$, here in Romania retail is like 600-700$ and my budget is more like maximum 400-450$. Here I can't find an older generation, but maybe I could cope one on ebay although the delivery would cost a lot and it would need like some weeks to be delivered as I'm from Eastern Europe (Romania) and most posts on ebay are from USA.
So what do you guys think?Should I get the touch? or maybe search more for an older model? I need a suggestion and I am open to any ideea possible as long it suits my budget ( no more than that because I'm QA Game Tester and I don't earn very much).I would enjoy something that can be used without a computer, the mpc being just connected to the pc without the need to use it is not a problem either( it won't leave my desk).
P.S: My pc setup is very good as it is an ASUS ROG with very good specs,but I still feel that the software does not suit me.
By Living Bate Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:24 pm
Isti16 wrote:I've come across an cheap MPC Touch (second hand) for about 350$, here in Romania retail is like 600-700$ and my budget is more like maximum 400-450$. Here I can't find an older generation, but maybe I could cope one on ebay

I think that is probably your best bet....I've never used one but people seem to like them and that price is gonna do you justice...

I recon you'd struggle to get an 'older generation' one for that price.....

if you are coming from software then the Touch should be a suitable blend of software and hardware too.......
By Isti16 Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:31 pm
Ty for the reply, as for the software and hardware thing I'm really disposed to go full hardware. The main thing I was looking for an older one was that they are straight to the point and they would train my ear more as I am not as dependent on a screen.but for the price I think I will go with the touch.Is the chopping fun to do on these models?
It is a bummer that I can't gen an Akai MPC 4000 somewhere close in europe for a good price.

P.S: I converted now the price of the touch in usd and it is 383.

P.S: As for the learning, what should I do when I get my hands on one? Learn their manual or buy the ones I saw here? I am not that big youtube tutorials fan beside one guy that i like from verysickbeats jfilth or what was his name.
By vanballen Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:53 pm
If you are in to software. the touch is a good choice.. But if I read it correct you are more like hardware.. If you ask me.. I would get a second hand MPC 5000... You can get it around 500-600 euro's, and it really shows you what an MPC does.. The 5K is a bit like a black sheep... a lot of people prefer the older versions.. But the 5K has everything and more.. for a low price..
By Isti16 Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:36 pm
Hey thanks for the advice, I looked into it and I don't know if I am allowed to post links so I will not but I saw a mpc 5000 on ebay that seems like pretty old but the bit has 18 hours left and till now there are 21 biders and the final bid is 151 euro,and it is from Germany also so not as far as US from me. but I am afraid that it may be very old and it has tech difficulties.I forgot to mention that i can't really sample from vinyl I try to get tunes as hq as possible but here vinyls are quite expensive we don't have record shops like the guys in US have.
By vanballen Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:47 pm
Isti16 wrote:Hey thanks for the advice, I looked into it and I don't know if I am allowed to post links so I will not but I saw a mpc 5000 on ebay that seems like pretty old but the bit has 18 hours left and till now there are 21 biders and the final bid is 151 euro,and it is from Germany also so not as far as US from me. but I am afraid that it may be very old and it has tech difficulties.I forgot to mention that i can't really sample from vinyl I try to get tunes as hq as possible but here vinyls are quite expensive we don't have record shops like the guys in US have.

151 is a steal.. I sold mine last month for 680 euro's.. I would not take the gamble as it;s far too cheap... If I had mine still here I would have sold you that one because then you are really sure it is ok..

Just look for it on a local market place instead of ebay... Not an order.. but just saying what I would do..
By Isti16 Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:53 pm
okay thanks, then I will go with the touch, because it is half the price as it would be new and the guys lives in the city i live and work in so it is great,he can show it to me and give me the account and deactivate his ( it is already updated to 2.0 also). but the question is, can I ignore the computer with this?it is fine if it is just a power source or what is it's role but I want it more as an "instrument" of it's own.the connectivity is good though for the song/sample copying.
By vanballen Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:54 pm
Isti16 wrote:okay thanks, then I will go with the touch, because it is half the price as it would be new and the guys lives in the city i live and work in so it is great,he can show it to me and give me the account and deactivate his ( it is already updated to 2.0 also). but the question is, can I ignore the computer with this?it is fine if it is just a power source or what is it's role but I want it more as an "instrument" of it's own.the connectivity is good though for the song/sample copying.

A touch is imo a pure controller.. So if you want an instrument... Do not go with the touch.. without a computer the touch is just a piece of plastic...
By Isti16 Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:03 am
thanks guys for all the support, I will really use this forum a lot as you seem very helpful and I can't wait to return the favor ( this will be in the future mainly I suppose as you guys seem much more advanced in this domain). As for the mpc touch bible, I think I will go with it, I researched the author a bit and it seems the excellent choice for a beginner, so this monday I will buy the touch and the bible for sure because I'm getting impatient :-D :lol:
By Isti16 Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:37 am
As I said, I bought the MPC TOUCH and the bible for v2.0 on Monday.I can't express how happy I am about these acquisitions. The only thing that bothered me a little was that I had to reinstall my windows as the audio driver did not install correctly due to the service permissions being wrong. I did not think much and I reinstalled the windows instantly and after that it worked perfectly. The guy was nice enough to give me a bunch of extra cables for all sorts of devices and the mpc is in a near new-like shape,I swear I feel like I robbed him paying half the retail price and the mpc being so new and taken care of. Although the mpc is not standalone I don't look at the laptop at all, just for reading the manual.Thanks guys again, much appreciation for your help. This thread can be closed if you want.
P.S: If MPC-Tutor is gonna read this, your manual is very awesome and easy to understand.It was worth the price for sure as it saved me from going through boring youtube tutorials or begging for spoon feeding on random sites/forums.
Best regards,
Isti.
One love. :worthy: :worthy: :worthy: :worthy:
By MPC-Tutor Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:18 am
Isti16 wrote:P.S: If MPC-Tutor is gonna read this, your manual is very awesome and easy to understand.It was worth the price for sure as it saved me from going through boring youtube tutorials or begging for spoon feeding on random sites/forums.
Best regards,
Isti.
One love. :worthy: :worthy: :worthy: :worthy:

Thanks for the great feedback!
By Schmidi Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:48 am
I went for it and got a used Touch after reading here for over a year, and I really like it!

It's enough of a hardware experience for me but still has the benefits of software. I love having that combo as software sounds are good and cheap, and the hardware is solid.

I would only avoid the Touch if you don't have a stable computer. Any Intel "I" series should be fine for cpu power.

Also, but Tutor's MPC Touch Bible. It's great!
By Isti16 Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:46 pm
You are right, it is indeed a nice piece of gear.
I don't have much and I'll finish the manual also.
I tend to use it 24/7 beside when I have to go to work lol. :lol:
I really love it, and also got very comfortable with their sampling software.
I don't use the laptop at all, it is only a kind of a "Kindle" for the MPC Touch bible 2.0. :-D