New to the MPC production world? Got a music production question that's not really specific to any particular MPC? Try your luck here and get help from our experienced members.
By Klass62 Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:33 pm
Hey MPC Bruthas,

Proud to say my very first MPC is the X and I'm slowly trying to learn how the structure works, I have only been trying to understand a few core basics

So from what I understand the MP is broken into 3 parts

Sequence
Tracks
Programs (which is the midi / Samples info)

One thing I was trying to figure out.
I was using the default Sequence 1, Track 1.. I browse and load a kit, I program a basic drum snare then select track 2 load another kit and use the hi hats select track 3 and load another kit and use a drum ect.
Then I would select track 4 and select a piano but after it loads all the pads are purple and the octaves on all keys are very low..
Any idea why it wouldn't lay the piano over the pads normally, does the MP want you to set each pad octave manually?

I've been a Reason user for many years and trying to grasp the MPC structure

Anyone can post some basic MPC X beginner videos don't think any have been made yet lol baby steps lol
By Danoc Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:43 pm
I have Reason 9.5 about to get 10 and I worked the MPC with it hand and hand. I think you should buy MPC Tutors PDF tutorial. There's like to much to type here and to get you started. His book is huge, and I know these videos I bought, I forgot the name, I would have to get home to show you where I got them. get both that's what I did. I know like 80% of the MPC Live, ask anyone I didn't know it at all, Ask Fanu, Tutor etc. I was familiar with the MPC 2000xl so it was a little easier.

Klass62 wrote:Hey MPC Bruthas,

Proud to say my very first MPC is the X and I'm slowly trying to learn how the structure works, I have only been trying to understand a few core basics

Sequence
Tracks

I was using the default Sequence 1, Track 1.. I browse and load a kit, I program a basic drum snare then select track 2 load another kit and use the hi hats select track 3 and load another kit and use a drum ect.
Then I would select track 4 and select a piano but after it loads all the pads are purple and the octaves on all keys are very low..
Any idea why it wouldn't lay the piano over the pads normally, does the MP want you to set each pad octave manually?

Anyone can post some basic MPC X beginner videos don't think any have been made yet lol baby steps lol
By Moho Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:44 pm
try pad bank D, the bank buttons take you through the span of the keyboard.
By Klass62 Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:52 pm
Cool man thanks, you guys have been awesome very helpful and friendly. I know it's way to much info to type lol I'll look into that PDF yeah if you can let me know those videos that be dope.

can you use the MPC X and Reason 9.5 together?

Danoc wrote:I have Reason 9.5 about to get 10 and I worked the MPC with it hand and hand. I think you should buy MPC Tutors PDF tutorial. There's like to much to type here and to get you started. His book is huge, and I know these videos I bought, I forgot the name, I would have to get home to show you where I got them. get both that's what I did. I know like 80% of the MPC Live, ask anyone I didn't know it at all, Ask Fanu, Tutor etc. I was familiar with the MPC 2000xl so it was a little easier.

Klass62 wrote:Hey MPC Bruthas,

Sequence
Tracks

By Danoc Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:29 am
Yes sir you can use the MPCx with Reason.

Klass62 wrote:can you use the MPC X and Reason 9.5 together?

By Jonespnice1 Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:54 am
@Klass62,
I would suggest hooking up with a seasoned MPC user and network, I'm sure there has to be some MPC users where you live or simply hook up and network with someone on the forum.
By Automageddon Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:29 am
Quick tip:
You don't need to have kick on one track, snare on another and so forth.
If you are using the same kit, just keep everything on the same track, then once you're almost finished with your song and need to export, find the "explode" button (check the manual) and boom, the MPC will separate the track in mutliple tracks for you.
By Danoc Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:27 pm
Well on the contary to what you ssid.
There's 2 explodes. In order to explode in export you have to first explode your sounds on the track. You cannot keep all the sounds on one track and expect it to explode during the exporting process.

Automageddon wrote:Quick tip:
You don't need to have kick on one track, snare on another and so forth.
If you are using the same kit, just keep everything on the same track, then once you're almost finished with your song and need to export, find the "explode" button (check the manual) and boom, the MPC will separate the track in mutliple tracks for you.
By Automageddon Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:25 pm
Still the same, you don't need to keep your sounds separate from the beginning, in most cases it's easier to just use on track when composing
By Klass62 Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:56 pm
Yeah man I need someone to take me as an apprentice lol

Last night I pulled out my practically new Lenovo i7 Flex laptop to download the new 2.0.5 update and the damn laptop would boot then power off , I'd boot it and it would power off over and over even trying to boot off USB and recover it just shuts down its hardly used and I don't know if it's hardware or some Windows 10 patch .. shoulda just got a MAC but I've always used Windows just accustomed to it.

So anyways my hope of updating my MPC went down the drain last night just happy I didn't install the software then lose one of my licenses.

I still haven't figured out how to load a drum sound on 1 pad and another sound on another pad rather than having to load a whole kit ..
do you need to load a whole kit per track?

Thanks for all your infos my bruthas
:smoker:
By Lampdog Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:03 am
Klass62 wrote:....shoulda just got a MAC....

tf
By Danoc Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:45 am
Ima go head and say it. THATS NOT THE COMPUTER THAT'S YOU MESSIN UP!

Dude l have Win 10 on a Dell laptop and both my installments went through smoothly.

You're buying stuff you don't know anything about. Getting a Mac won't silve the issue.

Theres a video on UTube giving instructions.

Klass62 wrote:Yeah man I need someone to take me as an apprentice lol

Last night I pulled out my practically new Lenovo i7 Flex laptop to download the new 2.0.5 update and the damn laptop would boot then power off , I'd boot it and it would power off over and over even trying to boot off USB and recover it just shuts down its hardly used and I don't know if it's hardware or some Windows 10 patch .. shoulda just got a MAC but I've always used Windows just accustomed to it.

So anyways my hope of updating my MPC went down the drain last night just happy I didn't install the software then lose one of my licenses.

I still haven't figured out how to load a drum sound on 1 pad and another sound on another pad rather than having to load a whole kit ..
do you need to load a whole kit per track?

Thanks for all your infos my bruthas
:smoker:
By Lampdog Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:35 am
The problem is Mac has normal and below users brainwashed imo.
Normal and above users also know Mac is a computer just like anything else.
The Mac OS is more stable and less intertwined with programs than Windows based OS's.
There is something else, something. OP is not telling the whole story imo or honestly just doesn't know (this happens ALOT unfortunately).

Not defending Mac/PC even though idc for Mac. I'm defending common sense which isn't so common.
I have built all my own PC's, have the knowledge to repair software and hardware, never had major problems, usually only problems I started because of curiosity :(
By Klass62 Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:38 am
Lol .. was kiddin I also run Reason off that laptop jus frustrated I'll have to hold off on the update for a bit

Lampdog wrote:
Klass62 wrote:....shoulda just got a MAC....

tf