New to the MPC production world? Got a music production question that's not really specific to any particular MPC? Try your luck here and get help from our experienced members.
By impalagasper Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:35 am
Hi, Im a sound engineer/music producer and after years of producing, Im now about to perform live. Many of my clients used Elektron stuff, I liked the sound a lot, but it looks like MPC might be a better solution for me. Brand is not important tho, Im looking for a good sound, intuitive workflow and reliability. My starter budget is 1200€.

Here is what Im after (example of what Im doing - https://goo.gl/Gtbxnu )

I would like to have one(!) piece of standalone(!) gear that allows me to run the following (without latency being a problem):
1. Live vocal (Id mix it live)
1.1 I do need preamps with enough of power (I know I need to try that, but any experience?) Phantom power is not a neccesity, would be nice tho.
2.Live guitar/instrument (Id mix it live)
3. Backing tracks (Id play backing track through)
4. Triggering samples over backing track (up to 6 different samples per song/project)
5. And at the same time, its important, that its easy to switch fast between songs/projects

I know I might be asking for a lot with this budget, but I do believe/hope there is something like that. And Im 99% NOT interested into overbridging and bringing computer into it. With bringing Ableton Live into this, Id need extra midi pads and extra interface, which bring latency, bunch of cables, routing and slower problem solving onto the stage.

Anyways, could AKAI MPC Live be it? What do you think is the best solution for me?

Thank you all and all the best,
Gasper
By MPC-Tutor Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:00 pm
There are no mic preamps or direct instrument inputs in the Live, only the MPC X, so all that would need additional gear.

Switching fast between songs/projects: the MPC Software is limited to 1 project at a time, so the workaround is to create a 'super project' containing your entire set, or multiple projects, each containing multiple songs but accept you'll have a few seconds loading between projects

Not sure exactly what your live goals are, but do you actually need to route the vocals and guitar into the Live? Are you looking to sample the guitar/vocals into your project 'on the fly' and perform some trickery, or do you just need the Live for backing tracks and to trigger pre-loaded samples?
By impalagasper Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:19 pm
Hey, thanks for the reply.

Yes, I do have live vocal on stage and also a guitar player, so I actually need to route it via MPC. Id like to mix and sample them both live. At the side Id trigger pre-loaded samples over the whole thing, yes.

Lets say getting 2 preamps aint a problem, is it a problem to route the vocal and the guitar via MPC to use it as a mixer? As I see, MPC Live has L-R inputs, so that probably works as a stereo input only...
By Cockdiesel Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:29 pm
I use a small mixer on my inputs for effects routing and tracking in other stuff, anything more complex isn't possible. Octatrack can do it but only 2 inputs, I can't think of any other options out there with similar functions.

I haven't used it much but there is is l function on the live. Check into that
By MPC-Tutor Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:36 pm
It's not really designed to be used as a mixer, but I guess you could fudge something with the two inputs as these can be routed individually, so input 1 (guitar) goes to audio track 1, input 2 (vocal) goes to audio track 2, you should be able to hear the incoming audio while continuing other sequencing and pad performances etc, but I haven't tested this personally.

I think a better option would be to run the vocals, guitar and mpc live each to their own dedicated tracks in a separate mixer (which will have all the required preamps built in). It's probably possible to do this and stay within 1200 EUR budget.
By impalagasper Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:45 pm
I think you got the answer. Doesnt seem like its gonna work for me with MPC Live. If I go DI into mixer, I cant get very creative mixing live vocal and guitar, which is main thing for me. Gotta rethink my approach or really dive more into OT. Thanks :)