New to the MPC production world? Got a music production question that's not really specific to any particular MPC? Try your luck here and get help from our experienced members.
By Sapper Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:31 pm
Hey everyone! I don't own an MPC yet but I've been reading the forums for a few years now. I would like to find an MPC500 in good physical/operational condition at a fair price, but I'm not sure of the best place to look. Auction sites scare me a bit as most sellers appear to be stores and don't intimately know the unit they're selling. I've also had a hard time finding a 500 on local used gear sites.

Can anyone offer some advice on where to look?

Cheers.
By Sapper Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:38 am
So I just found the MPC Hunter site listed in the resources thread. Really useful site so I'll keep my eye in it. At the moment it's just showing the same listings I found on eBay. I think I just need to be patient and the right one will come along.
By Sapper Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:02 am
Thanks for the suggestions; I'm watching the first two right now. Haven't used Wish before but I'll check it out.

Yes, I'm looking specifically for a battery powered sampler that isn't an Electribe 2 Sampler (already own one and really don't enjoy the workflow) or an OP-1 (would love to own one but out of my price range for now). The 500 seems to have a very intuitive workflow compared to the E2S and appears to do some essential things the E2S cannot, like un-quantized recordings and comprehensive step editing. A 1000 would be nice but portability is a requirement for me. I also like the challenge of wringing out maximum performance from instruments that some consider are too limited on the surface.
By Ill-Green Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:34 pm
Same reason why I bought in to the MPC500 back in 2006. I wanted sampling on batteries :D

I forgot to mention Gumtree and aliexpress. I don't use those for gear but I have seen them up there.

Like I said before in another thread, save up a bit more and get an MPC LIVE instead, you'll get flagship features in a battery operated box.
By Sapper Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:27 am
Cool, thanks for the site suggestions.

I was pretty excited to hear about the Live (spent many months Googling "battery powered sampler" when it popped up) but to be honest I was put off by the massive screen. I know that sounds silly and I'm sure it's really nice to work with, but it reminded me too much of a DAW on my laptop. Been trying to move away from that environment as I get sucked into tweaking data rather than focusing on creativity.

I'm still looking for a 500 but I wouldn't rule out a Live in the future...
By Tomes Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:03 pm
They pop up all the time on my local musician forum/trading place and often there are more than one for sell. If a small nordic country has plenty of them for sale, there should be tons in uk, states, germany etc. Usually when im looking for something, i google it with for sell etc in my language and a bunch of trading sites come up that may or may not have what im looking. So google, check local forums, ebay etc
By Sapper Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:39 am
I guess when I started looking there weren't many being listed. Then suddenly a whole load showed up at once, and I snagged an almost mint condition 500 on eBay. I was checking around a few different sites but just needed to be patient. Glad I didn't buy the first thing that showed up.
By Freire Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:12 pm
Sapper wrote:I guess when I started looking there weren't many being listed. Then suddenly a whole load showed up at once, and I snagged an almost mint condition 500 on eBay. I was checking around a few different sites but just needed to be patient. Glad I didn't buy the first thing that showed up.

Ok, that makes sense. I didn't find any decent deals on eBay for a couple of days I was checking it. I guess I was just unlucky with what was being offered at the time. I'll give it another shot.