New to the MPC production world? Got a music production question that's not really specific to any particular MPC? Try your luck here and get help from our experienced members.
By flipstar Fri Jan 14, 2005 12:50 am
Yes, I had recently just bought an MPC 2000xl off ebay and I was trying to load the free demo sample disk from mpc-sounds.com as well as sounds by itself (via floppy disk). but everytime I put a disk inside inside "Type=No disk", I can't load, format or save either!

I tried searching for this in the forums.. couldn't find anything. Should I be e-mailing the guy back and asking what's going on? Or am I doing something wrong? Thanks!

By Phatz Fri Jan 14, 2005 7:32 am
If u pressed the load button after you put the disk in and nothing is jumppin..... ur drive may be shot........is your screen seeing the floppy or is it saying something else like scsi 2,3,4,5 or 7?

By flipstar Fri Jan 14, 2005 7:37 am
It's still seeing the drive. When I try and read the LED still lights up. Any disk I put in there I get a no disk error. The guy that mailed me this wrapped it in newspaper.. and took some damage on the corners opposite from where the floppy drive is.

I'm thinking it got banged up pretty bad during shipping and knocked something loose. I have no idea..

Can i just purchase ANY floppy drive and replace it.. or is there some special mpc floppy drive I have to buy?

Thanks.
By ryancee Fri Jan 14, 2005 6:39 pm
yo

i would take that "ruined" disk, copy it to the desktop on a computer, throw away the "ruined disk," put a brand new disk in the computer, copy that ish over and use the new disk - if this shhiit dont work - the data on the floppy is defective man

especially if your mp screen shows that it's reading the floppy drive and not the scsi drive

you know that your drive is okay b/c it can read the OS floppy each time right?

By flipstar Sat Jan 15, 2005 4:53 pm
I've come to the conclusion that the floppy drive is done. I think maybe the read/write head is off or something. It can only read the disk SOMETIMES. The drive probably got damaged during shipping along with the casing. Hopefully this guy will compensate for the damage..

Finally, I just want to make sure.. ANY standard floppy disk drive will work with the mpc 2000xl right?

By Lampdog Sat Jan 15, 2005 5:25 pm
It's a standard pc floppy drive, go to any pc store and get one for $10-$17.
Open up your mpc and swap out the drive. Easy, takes about 10 minutes.