New to the MPC production world? Got a music production question that's not really specific to any particular MPC? Try your luck here and get help from our experienced members.
By edgar_altamirano Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:23 am
got one question.. i had my s950 midi with my mpc 2000xl...and when i started recording my sequencing on the mpc i started hearing all kinds of static and weird noices every time i started triggering the pads.Could it be i have the outputs of the s950 connected to my monitors wrong? i use the mix and left outputs of my s950 to connect my monitors.or can it be my midi cables?

i also noticed ,while that was happening. i was flipping through the pages on the s950 and it kind of wanted to have a short the screen started flickering a little....has anybody been through this???
By Robbinson Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:03 pm
edgar_altamirano wrote:got one question.. i had my s950 midi with my mpc 2000xl...and when i started recording my sequencing on the mpc i started hearing all kinds of static and weird noices every time i started triggering the pads.Could it be i have the outputs of the s950 connected to my monitors wrong? i use the mix and left outputs of my s950 to connect my monitors.or can it be my midi cables?

i also noticed ,while that was happening. i was flipping through the pages on the s950 and it kind of wanted to have a short the screen started flickering a little....has anybody been through this???

Exact same thing happened to mine. I had to replace the motherboard and upgrade to the IB-109 SCSI upgrade. It worked magnificently, and it has a digital in on it so that samples come through really clear and thick. It did cost a little though, but luckily the unit needed it. Open up the unit and check all your connections first before making any decisions. You may not find anything for certain, but check all your connections. You may need to replace the memory processor, once the S950 stores a sound in the internal memory - there are a series of processors that are in play. Your A/D and D/A converters need capacitors, this is the first thing that goes when memory is being distorted. Also - the memory is located underneath the S950, they can come loose so check them as well. Not sure if you have any upgrades on your unit, but I have 1536 keywords on my 950, the RAM is located underneath the S950 in a compartment, open it and check to see if those are loose. Mine needed service, I had bought it second hand and didn't know a thing about the unit. When I plugged it in, it did the exact something. I fixed it - Now I as well have a S1000. Both maxed out - hopeful this finds you in great spirit and health.

PS - If you have opened it - you can see it's built like a tank. There are IB-05 connections that link the analog feed to the motherboard. Also for your output there are as well IB-05 connections, I suggest you look into first and read as you go, but for certain you have something wrong with the internal memory it sounds like.