Talk and share knowledge on rare records, sources of new samples, vinyl, diggin, etc
By dmarz45 Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:40 pm
Theres nothing like finding a really dope clap sample on a record. You listen to the song and the clap really catches your ear and you sit and wait for a part in the song where it plays by itself so you can add it to your drum library. I've come across a few really dope ones in my day. I just wanted to start a thread and hear some that you guys have come across. Im talking ones that stand out from the rest.

General Caine - I'm The Man - amazing clap

By Lampdog Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:20 am
0:00-0:10 you lazy bum you :-D

Grab 3, place on 3 pads, pan each differently, hard left, hard right and the 3rd one dead center (leave it be, normal is fine too), when sequencing with tc:off use one hand and hit all three pads with three different fingers. It will never be perfect, that's the whole point of this method, they never hit the same throughout the long 8 bar sequence. You can always go into step edit and space em' out even more and more ticks apart if preferred. I've done this with 4 claps, 4 fingers, hardleft, +30L, -30R and hardright. It sounds really good. It's an excellent use of pan technique on claps.

By n4l Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:06 am
The Car Wash claps were heavily used on The Voodoo album, and they're definately in heavy rotation on my beats too.
By Lampdog Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:32 pm

n4l wrote:The Car Wash claps were heavily used on The Voodoo album, and they're definately in heavy rotation on my beats too.

Car wash and Kano claps have been my faves for years and years, along with the above mentioned technique.
By richie Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:31 am
It depends on the genre of music you're trying to make.

If I want to make some swag and trap shit, I prefer to only sample claps from people that never use lotion on their hands. The percussion of a non moisturized hand cuts through in the mix a lot better.

For more smooth and neo soul type shit, I only sample claps from people that use cocoa butter as a moisturizer. The cocoa butter claps sound "warmer" and go in good if I want to do some 1/32 triplet thugging.

When I'm trying to do conscious vegan beats, I prefer to only sample claps from records where the musicians use aloe as a moisturizer. There is something about the aloe that makes it sound warm yet percussive and emotional. I sometimes put on corduroy when I listen to these records because it makes it easier to find the best claps.
By Coz Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:03 pm
richie wrote:The percussion of a non moisturised hand cuts through in the mix a lot better.

Hilarious! :lol: