Talk and share knowledge on rare records, sources of new samples, vinyl, diggin, etc
By jnorth Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:33 pm
I am starting to feel lately that too many people are obsessed with collecting rare records instead of good music. There is so many assumptions that when I dig I look for 'rare' records. I am just sick of the whole concept of looking for raers.

It got me annoyed when I started out that these guys were getting all this shit and all I find are garbage easy listening, but now I just give a **** and I don't connect with the digging community anymore whatsoever and just go for good music, whether that be rare or not.

I just feel as though the obsession some people have with rare records is holding them back. It's not what you have it's what you do with what you have. Lack of funds force me to get real creative, plus good music doesn't have to be rare (it's a bonus when you find something that you feel isn't seen). I just feel that digging these days is shit. It seems to me to have become a competition of who has the biggest wallet.

Have you ever hung around a place where people are so obsessed with rare vinyl? Its depressing and boring as ****. Some people are so deep into the rares game it's ridiculous. That's why I don't visit certain sites.

By peterpiper Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:04 pm
interesting topic.
I like rare records as a sampling source. In this case the sample won't get overused. But that is just one part. Many rare records also are good music. But most of them I won't own cause I'm a 99% Eurobin digger.
Then there are rare records that nobody cares about cause nobody knows that records from a schools jazz bigg band or local rockband that never left the small town.
IF someone knows it and use samples from it in a successful track prices on the "diggermarket" of these record will go up to "unavailable for me".
There are times when I don't care about the music on a record and buy just for sampling. At the moment I'm more a "good music digger" and only buy a record when there is obviously good music on it (either I already know the record or I look for musicians, year, instruments).

A few days ago I thought about something that might fit here:
What artist or specific record is the best and easiest you can get for cheap? I mean which record is the one you stumble over again and again in dollar bins and is also really good music?
Few of mine are

Michael Jackson - Thriller
Mike Oldfield - 5 Miles Out
George Benson - Give me the Night

There is not much funk, sould, jazz in the Eurobins here.

peace
By doughnutSpaghetti Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:09 pm
Yeah, I think some of it is that you don't want people to have access to your samples or even know were they came from.

When I dig, I'm just searching for sounds I can use. Most of the time I'm not even going to listen to the record other than looking for samples I need. For sampling, I don't really care how rare it is or not. The sounds I like though, are coming from stuff that's not common so it's just more of a coincidence.

I do like my rare stuff though. But, that's the collector in me, and also a way to fund your next dig, because you can profit from a rare record that you paid little for. I like this. It's a challenge.

For example I found Rusty Bryant Fire Eater for $1. Still had the plastic shrink on it. I'm seeing copies for sale on ebay for $300. That's a lot of records if I ever could sell it for that much. But, even if I sold if for $50, that pretty large return on a $1 investment.
By Star One Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:35 am
Based on an experience, you can't really group everyone into it. Not everyone is cut from the same cloth. What might be happening in one persons local not happening everywhere.

I'm also not into just collection records or buying records to say oh I've got this. Just not my thing. But it's not that serious that I would start getting upset about it or anything.

Just glad there's none of that biggest wallet contest going on around here. Maybe there is, who knows. But if it's not my world, I just don't touch on it, I stay in mine :nod:

doughnutSpaghetti wrote:Yeah, I think some of it is that you don't want people to have access to your samples or even know were they came from.

That makes sense. Trying to go off the beaten path at least, obscurity is key for a lot of people. I never really had luck with music that was just presented to me, or trying to be sold to me. But I think he's talking about like records that are known to be rare.
By Ill-Green Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:41 pm
I think you are just obsessed with people and what they do. Thats whats holding you back. You think you are ahead of the game but find out cats been on it for months, even years. So you get mad and try to water down shit so peeps can walk away from it. Your psychological bullshit has no effect on a crate digger. Get lost satan.
By jnorth Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:53 am
Ill-Green wrote:I think you are just obsessed with people and what they do. Thats whats holding you back. You think you are ahead of the game but find out cats been on it for months, even years. So you get mad and try to water down shit so peeps can walk away from it. Your psychological bullshit has no effect on a crate digger. Get lost satan.

Voice your opinion, but no need to get personal. Nothing good comes of that. Whenever since did I insult you anyway? Resorting to insults and bully behaviour reflects poorly on you. Some would just tell you to **** off, but I can't be arsed with that. There's a way to argue with me without resorting to throwing your faeces, but I guess it's easy to do that whilst hiding behind your computer.

Anyway, when I say holding people back I mean in terms of a lot of people not manipulating sounds enough and making the sample theirs. It isn't about watering shit down I'm talking about getting more interesting. The act of just using samples from rare records and just plonking them on. Listening to the original samples that some artists use on records can't help but disappoint me sometimes because of a lack of manipulation and the 'I could do that' factor. Don't get me wrong, there's always time for a good loop and simplicity, but that's boring sometimes.

I never said I was right. This is simply a discussion of ideas. I think digging in these times is interesting as the vinyl market, vinyl availability and the way vinyl is sold is completely different from when my favourite early 90s records were made and sold.

doughnutSpaghetti wrote:Yeah, I think some of it is that you don't want people to have access to your samples or even know were they came from.

That's how I feel at times when getting samples but there's always a part of me that wants to tell people about the amazing records I sampled from. Being able to give props to the original artist because I love sharing music. More people being able to hear the dopeness they made. I guess money and lawsuits and the unwritten rules of digging/sampling are factors.
Last edited by jnorth on Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
By jnorth Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:24 am
peterpiper wrote:interesting topic.
I like rare records as a sampling source. In this case the sample won't get overused. But that is just one part. Many rare records also are good music. But most of them I won't own cause I'm a 99% Eurobin digger.

There is not much funk, sould, jazz in the Eurobins here.

peace

Haha true. Maybe as the internet blew up digging gotten a lot more confusing as we have a load of countries where different things are common and rare? I mean I hear that records from ex-soviet countries are rare in the US while I find that they're more common here (maybe to do with a larger Eastern European population in the UK?).

There was a great site about UK digging, but I don't think it exists anymore. There were some great articles :( (I think it only exists in forum form)
By Star One Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:40 pm
jnorth wrote:Resorting to insults and bully behaviour reflects poorly on you.

It's kinda similar to the thread. Putting down others for being into their thing. Just after this was another one talking down on people who are into "vintage stuff" and the whole "kids these days will buy it all" or something, that especially sparks a nerve.

If the OG's aren't taking time to teach or show the youngers anything, instead just always with the "kids these days" at the butt of everything bitterness, things maybe could be different for them. Plus it's grouping a lot of people not like that. So being young, the olders don't take you seriously because there all playing follow the leader.

But your right, nothing wrong with voicing your opinion.

I'm just not a fan of people who put down others, and at the same time almost bigging themselves up.

Digging is not shit these days. It's just a bad perception that's only going to make it not fun for you anymore. And that's not a way to live :( If it's not an injustice against you, no need to take it that serious
By jnorth Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:20 pm
StarOne wrote:
jnorth wrote:Resorting to insults and bully behaviour reflects poorly on you.

It's kinda similar to the thread. Putting down others for being into their thing. Just after this was another one talking down on people who are into "vintage stuff" and the whole "kids these days will buy it all" or something, that especially sparks a nerve.

If the OG's aren't taking time to teach or show the youngers anything, instead just always with the "kids these days" at the butt of everything bitterness, things maybe could be different for them. Plus it's grouping a lot of people not like that. So being young, the olders don't take you seriously because there all playing follow the leader.

But your right, nothing wrong with voicing your opinion.

I'm just not a fan of people who put down others, and at the same time almost bigging themselves up.

Digging is not shit these days. It's just a bad perception that's only going to make it not fun for you anymore. And that's not a way to live :( If it's not an injustice against you, no need to take it that serious

Yeah I can definitely feel that. We all have peeves though. I generally agree though. I can be like that at times. I'm not perfect whatsoever.

I think teaching the seeds to listen to authority is the most important thing. We should always tell kids to be respectful, but ask questions and to always be critical. The problem with hip-hop in my opinion is when people say "respect the architects" they mean don't question, challenge and shut the **** up when we speak, but I suppose a lot of cultures are like that.
By mastasteez Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:39 am
Ill-Green wrote:I think you are just obsessed with people and what they do. Thats whats holding you back. You think you are ahead of the game but find out cats been on it for months, even years. So you get mad and try to water down shit so peeps can walk away from it. Your psychological bullshit has no effect on a crate digger. Get lost satan.

I understand where Ill is coming from here Mr North. Almost all your topics talk about your disapproval of a certain sect of society or fad that is going on at a particular time. Who gives a **** what others are doing, thinking or buying. Desiderata my friend.

Go placidly amid the noise and haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence. As far as possible without surrender be on good terms with all persons.

Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even the dull and the ignorant; they too have their story.

Avoid loud and aggressive persons, they are vexations to the spirit. If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain and bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself.

Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans. Keep interested in your own career, however humble; it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time.

Exercise caution in your business affairs; for the world is full of trickery. But let this not blind you to what virtue there is; many persons strive for high ideals; and everywhere life is full of heroism.

Be yourself. Especially, do not feign affection. Neither be cynical about love; for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment it is as perennial as the grass.

Take kindly the counsel of the years, gracefully surrendering the things of youth.

Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune. But do not distress yourself with dark imaginings. Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness.

Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.

Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be, and whatever your labors and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life keep peace with your soul. With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.

“”
Max Ehrmann, "Desiderata".[1]
By craveone Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:47 pm
im in the midwest, actually the dead center... good ol Kansas... anyway, we have two good record stores in town, one that is owned by a dj/producer. so when he gets good stuff he either holds it for himself, or puts a big price tag on it.. when going to bins at the DAV, Goodwill, or even the flea market, i am mostly left with country, polka, 60's ans 70's rock, some jazz, and on occasion some soul records... i don't look for rare here, i just look for sounds... when i go out of town to dig, i usually go straight to the international section, and when in town at the record stores, straight to easy listening... the store we have that has the producer running it...it does have a nice section of soul, but again, its super high priced... i did in fact pay 8 bucks for a 7" one time, just because i loved the bass notes on it...
By Ian Canefire Thu Mar 19, 2015 3:22 am
I have been collecting and lidtening for years. I am about to go to a meetup tomorrow for vinyl players. I intend to bring my reggae 45s. I am hoping to hear something new from other people. My goal is to shed light on the great jamaican vinyl pressing of yesteryear while enjoying music.

So to the original post i say this focus more on joy and do not waste time discussing negatives. I look forward to hearing your good stories about vinyl group meets.
Cheers
ian
By peeping tom Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:47 am
my hip pocket dictates what records i buy. usually dollar bin jams.
If you dig hard enough, you find rare shit there too. but yeah, wouldnt stress so much about what the next mans doing.

"Desiderata my friend"

gotta remember, while some people dig for rare jawns, there are plenty of people that youtube it. it aint like it used to be where records was IT when it came to samples, back then finding the rare shit meant not many other people have it, now there are blogs of rare records, and people just google the shit. Some of my best samples have been dollar bin joints.
By JVC Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:32 pm
I've been to NYC Roosevelt Hotel Record Convention, but it wasn't depressing at all (I miss those days.)
I love rare records but, I also enjoy 'commmon' vinyls as well, because they tend to sound better than those remastered versions, which very often are just poorly mastered with a lot of compression applied.
I buy those common vinyls when price is right, and I do enjoy playing them, and I often discover small details.
Either Rare or commmon, good music is good music.