Talk and share knowledge on rare records, sources of new samples, vinyl, diggin, etc
By peterpiper Sat Nov 15, 2014 9:12 pm
Headphones wrote:
This time, I'm more into stumbling into just about anything, just as long as it's cheap. I won't buy Christian or gospel records(I'm atheist in my non beliefs, so I don't need those records at all), or polka records (which are plentiful in most Thrift stores), but Latin or samba records, sure. Children's records, ditto.

You aren't a Child anymore but you buy Childrens records and you aren't a christian but don't buy christian records. :hmmm:
Sounds funny to me.
The records won't do you any harm (or do they?). But they can provide good samples for sure.
My record collection would be REALLY bad if I would collect by the beliefs of the musicians. BTW I'm a christian :smoker: On the other hand I wouldn't like to miss some of my 'christian records'. Got some dope Hare Krishna records too.

peace
By Headphones Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:28 pm
The children's records are probably for something odd or silly to sample. I only bought 3 so far. And the Christian records are probably not what I am looking for. Not all, but some thrift stores go kind of heavy on selling those, but just because they're there, doesn't mean I feel the urge to spend the buck on them and take them home. True, maybe there might be something worth flipping, but I really don't feel it's worth my time/money at all. Part of the problem is, thrift stores accepted most of their records as donations. (That's why you just never find Led Zeppelin records!) So you can almost trust your gut that what you're digging through isn't worth much in the used market. So that's why you usually only spend a buck per album, because it's likely only worth pennies.

I did say before I was open minded, as far as what I will be willing to check out, but I gotta draw the line in the sand somewhere on what I have absolutely no use for. Religious records, classical records, polka and bluegrass I have no interest in collecting or sampling.

I'm sure there are some music genres you yourself won't touch. Nothing wrong with that, is there?
By peterpiper Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:56 pm
Oh I see. Yes there are some genres I am a bit sceptical about because of bad experiences. but then on the other hand my collection would really miss something if there weren't these few records with shitty music but that one measure of a monster drumbreak or some other sample. But yes, these are needle in haystack type of finds and the drawback is a big collection of shitty records with only 1 dope sample on each.

BTW my Led Zeppelin collection ( Led zeppelin, II and III) is from a thrift store. 50 cent each :) Most of my collection I bought for 50 cent to 3 EUR in thrisft stores or flea market. Winstons - color him father, Incredible Bongo Band, Polish Jazz, Zapp, War and on and on. But its not like diggin thru crates of soul, funk jazz stuff here where I live. Its more like diggin thru a crate with 200 James Last, polka and various artists records of the 80s to suddenly looking at a Incredible Bongo Band LP.

peace
By polarAC Sat Dec 13, 2014 12:52 am
What I liked about the article was the explanation of how things were at record conventions. Spot on. Between 96 and the early 00's, I used to frequent the Pasadena & Orange County monthlys out here in SoCal. Had to be there by 6am cause everything would be picked over by 8am. Being bothered that some other heads hit up a booth before you got there.

I just dig at the many stores that out here in the L.A. area nowadays. What I love about used vinyl is that I'm still being surprised. There are still SO many interesting records out there that have been forgotten about (and not youtube).
By SEMS Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:01 pm
peterpiper wrote:But its not like diggin thru crates of soul, funk jazz stuff here where I live. Its more like diggin thru a crate with 200 James Last, polka and various artists records of the 80s to suddenly looking at a Incredible Bongo Band LP.

peace

Yo but James Last got some dope samples :-D

I enjoyed that article when I read it, there definitely is a lost art to cratedigging. Not amongst us of course, the people on this forum are the minority who keep it going. Most of the young cats who didn't come up with that don't know. And that's ok, it's just different.

It's like that Rhythm Roulette with Cardiak... dude wrote in the comments that it was his first time going into a store & leaving with records. And I believe it. Nothing wrong with how he does it, it's just different.

I don't think I'll stop cratedigging until all the records in the world are gone.
By peeping tom Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:25 am
heaps of peeps on here dig i'm sure.

100% of my samples (with an exception of what i flip during the beat battles) are from vinyl, i know several other people who still make beats this way.

made this with all samples from vinyl, layers from other joints.
https://peepingtomthumb.bandcamp.com/

creative sampling is not like it used to be thats for sure, but it still happens :)