Talk and share knowledge on rare records, sources of new samples, vinyl, diggin, etc
By oraziodelcore Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:45 am
yoh!

Any tips on organizing your LP's?

I tried organizing them by the type of sample each reacord has, drums, bass, horns etc

then I had several LP's in a plastic sleeve that were sample on a project/beat

but lately I just put a post-it note on the record and wich beat I used it on.

maybee I should just go sorting them by the genre/ artist like most folks do
By Ill-Green Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:44 pm
I don't have a system, more or less is like the records that I can't find sh!t on, I put those on the bottom shelf because I hate to bend down and look for stuff. So the good records I put at a reachable and accessable height.
By ReckOne Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:05 pm
I'm in the middle of doing this...

I used to have everything per genre but I'm now reorganizing everything because that doesn't work for me anymore.

I still have a couple of separate genres like:
- hiphop
- electronical stuff (dubstep, dnb, house, ... )
- library records
- soundtracks

But everything soul/jazz/groove/funk related I just categorized alphabetically. After a while I didn't know where to draw the line between artists that have all different kinds of records (jazz, funk, disco, ... ).
By MPCHunter Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:24 pm
I have pretty much everything alphabetized except for a few special artists that I keep away from everything else on a separate shelf.

One of my close friends keeps everything categorized perfectly and is super obsessive about it. When he's not looking I move a few LPs around to mess with him and then ask him why he put Bitches Brew in his 70s prog rock section or Donna Summer into 80s techno section.
By oxide54 Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:34 am
1. non hip hop --> jazz, soul, funk, reggae, etc (mainly 79 and earlier) - alphabetically by artist (if i can't listen to it its not in here)
2. hip hop lps - alphabetically by artist
3. hip hop singles (seperate for acapellas) - alphabetically by artist
4. random crap, mainly the crap you would find at charity shops, some stuff from gran-parents, some stuff thats been sampled into great beats but theres no way I would listen to it

section 4 is actually quite useful at times of no inspiration, just grab a random record and try and force yourself to make something dope out of some bullshit.
By peterpiper Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:45 am
oxide54 wrote:1. non hip hop --> jazz, soul, funk, reggae, etc (mainly 79 and earlier) - alphabetically by artist (if i can't listen to it its not in here)
2. hip hop lps - alphabetically by artist
3. hip hop singles (seperate for acapellas) - alphabetically by artist
4. random crap, mainly the crap you would find at charity shops, some stuff from gran-parents, some stuff thats been sampled into great beats but theres no way I would listen to it

section 4 is actually quite useful at times of no inspiration, just grab a random record and try and force yourself to make something dope out of some bullshit.

:lol: :lol: thats the way to go

damn. im drunk

peace
By Top City Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:02 am
All my drums and breaks records got their own spot.

Hip hop has its own spot

I have a stack of records I consider to be blue chip prospects. These records are records that are awesome records and they made my ear go crazy. Must sample type of records

I got crap records where I put them so I know there is really nothing worth, resale them.

Then average records where most everything else goes.

I keep a notebook full of all my breaks and drums and any other worthy sounds/song/samples to pick back and get.
By beach_break Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:08 am
i organise my records into three sections - new york, detroit, and chicago.
By mr_debauch Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:34 am
I am not looking forward to this... I am going to have to get on that task soon.

So far I'm thinking, hawaiian records in one area because I suspect I have tons of that mixed in there.... french records in another spot... classical will be easy I think but that will have it's own area because I have piles of those big collection sets.

I like the idea of 1979 and earlier in one area though, but that will exclude classical, french, and hawaiian. I dont even like that hawaiian shmultzy crap (especially the christmas ones) however I am afraid if I get rid of those... maybe one day I will come up with something that those could be great sample sources for.
By Coz Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:50 am
mr_debauch wrote:I am not looking forward to this... I am going to have to get on that task soon.

Same here, but I haven't got that many to sort out... maybe 400 or so. I'll be keeping it in genres for now with a few sub categories for pure listening, working down to the junk!

On a sidenote, I'm going to pick up a synth later today from a fella who claims to have 30,000 records! :shock:

Can't wait to see that shit...