Talk and share knowledge on rare records, sources of new samples, vinyl, diggin, etc
By JUKE 179r Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:25 pm
For me
All LP's... organized by genre then alphabatized.
12"s... organized by genre then BPM (I got BPM's on everything for DJing)
By beach_break Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:40 am
old school!

JUKE 179r wrote:...
By GrantB Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:17 am
lgabrick wrote:Organizing by BPM is a great idea.

It's nearly a necessity if you want to mix a wide variety of records together, or if you are mixing slower tempo records. And by "mix" I mean beatmatch.

1200s only go +/- 8%, and really a lot of records sound like crap if you go outside 2-4%. What's 4% of 80 BPM? 130 BPM? Do the math, and you'll see that if you're playing a record at 80 BPM, and you want to mix in something that is 90 BPM, you are SOL. If you're at 120 and your next record is 130, not so bad. This is why newb djs either don't mix, or play records that are all the same all night. Keeping your cuts organized by BPM narrows down your choices a lot. This means you can program on the fly much easier.

I keep my DJ stuff organized by BPM, keeper albums alpha, and crates of records waiting to be sampled (lazy, I know). I also have a few special genres separated out, so when I'm in the mood for some blues or reggae, I don't have to go through all the other alpha stuff.
By harry.ethics Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:17 pm
I'm about to tackle this today. Well start it at least...

I was initially thinking about organising everything chronologically ... no one here do that ?

I have a shit load of drum and bass records, fair amount of hip-hop and then shelves of charity shop digs. I was thinking ...

- DnB section
- 'ip 'op section
- then a chronological order for everything else.

I'm going in. :nod:
By Headphones Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:16 am
I’m going to have to do that at some point. I’ve got everything from kids records to house music, Herb Albert to Hip Hop, Jazz to electronic. But now that I’m getting a MPC1000, I want more! :smoker:
By Sharris Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:28 pm
I organize by genre, I also separate vinyl that I've already sampled from what I haven't sampled yet. I'll sample anything & everything made before the 80's, so I have a lot of crazy stuff. I think organizing by genre makes the most sense (at least for me)........if needed, next I'll organize within the genre's alphabetically.
I also have a crate for drumbreak records, scratch records & vocals (like president speeches, Superman, children stories, ect) & I still have my first crate from 21 years ago filled with the same records (back then I was into scratchin & rhyming so it was all hip hop instrumentals & scratch records). I need a shelving unit for my vinyl is what I need. But luckily 2 of my brothers are cook's so they smuggle me milk crates :)
By tapedeck Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:29 am
Sharris wrote:... I need a shelving unit for my vinyl is what I need. But luckily 2 of my brothers are cook's so they smuggle me milk crates :)

those half-width cinder blocks and some 1" thick wood work really good in a pinch for record storage - got most of my collection off the floor for cheap that way.

i stain the wood just to make it a little nicer to look at.

regular cinder blocks will work too, i just prefer the thinner ones.
By saltmcgault Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:25 am
JUKE 179r wrote:For me
All LP's... organized by genre then alphabatized.

by bpm?! how do you do that? :lol: i organized mine about 500 of them all from the late 50’s to 70’s jazz soul and funk in alphabetical order some 9 years ago they’re all scattered to **** now. :lol: organizing them is always on my list but i never get to it.
By JUKE 179r Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:01 am
I use my Roland TR-909 drum machine to beat match the song since the 909 has a BPM Screen and tempo knob. Once I get all the BPMs I write it on the record sleeve and then organize it by the genre of music and in order of BPM.
By CharlesRandolph Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:37 am
Sharris wrote:I organize by genre, I also separate vinyl that I've already sampled from what I haven't sampled yet. I'll sample anything & everything made before the 80's, so I have a lot of crazy stuff. I think organizing by genre makes the most sense (at least for me)........if needed, next I'll organize within the genre's alphabetically.
I also have a crate for drumbreak records, scratch records & vocals (like president speeches, Superman, children stories, ect) & I still have my first crate from 21 years ago filled with the same records (back then I was into scratchin & rhyming so it was all hip hop instrumentals & scratch records). I need a shelving unit for my vinyl is what I need. But luckily 2 of my brothers are cook's so they smuggle me milk crates :)

Have you looked into Boltz LP Storage

or the IKEA Nornas or IKEA Kallax
By CharlesRandolph Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:02 am
JUKE 179r wrote:I use my Roland TR-909 drum machine to beat match the song since the 909 has a BPM Screen and tempo knob. Once I get all the BPMs I write it on the record sleeve and then organize it by the genre of music and in order of BPM.

Have you tried Disco Nest. Just type in the name and the BPM may be there. It does not have everything but if it's on Discogs it may be there. The cool thing is many times it will have the bpm, time signature and key. http://disconest.com/
By saltmcgault Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:56 pm
JUKE 179r wrote:I use my Roland TR-909 drum machine to beat match the song since the 909 has a BPM Screen and tempo knob. Once I get all the BPMs I write it on the record sleeve and then organize it by the genre of music and in order of BPM.

maybe i should have elaborated. so all your records you have only have 1 song or several songs with the same bpm? so what do you do if there is 5 tracks on there with different bpms what do you do then? just curious on how you organize by bpm’s when there diff songs with diff bpms.
By peterpiper Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:25 pm
CharlesRandolph wrote:
Have you tried Disco Nest. Just type in the name and the BPM may be there. It does not have everything but if it's on Discogs it may be there. The cool thing is many times it will have the bpm, time signature and key. http://disconest.com/

hey didn't know that. Nice site.
peace