Talk and share knowledge on rare records, sources of new samples, vinyl, diggin, etc

By Archetype_J Thu Aug 26, 2004 3:07 pm
The shit that was coming out of Brasil in the 80's was phenomonal.

Straight up...

Just because USA 80's music was sorry, doesn't mean that was the case everywhere.

By jorge guzman Thu Aug 26, 2004 3:36 pm
tru dat..

By binger0 Thu Aug 26, 2004 5:09 pm
tru but i favor the more 70s funk and jazz then any 80s american music. thats what i keep my eye out for. But if it looks cool, i dont discriminate.

By cyrus Fri Aug 27, 2004 4:54 am
yeah, actually classical records are better from the 80s cause the recording is better.....at least for concert halls. anyways, i find sometimes with classical records if i go back to early 70s, or before, i get lots of mud when there is a climax...like the mics couldnt handle the input.....like a dc overload.....and the instruments arent as defined/crisp......

i also noticed that when people played those classical records, they must have just played them over and over again, for background music or something...so the grooves are worn. So newer is better.

By binger0 Fri Aug 27, 2004 6:15 am
mud and weak recordings is the hot shit. nothin a lil processing wont fix

By GrantB Fri Aug 27, 2004 9:35 am
FLUENT wrote:yo not all 80s is like that , definitely not...the real disco and salsoul is cool
, leroy burgess, some KLEEER, starship orchestra, d train..thats early 80s...leroy burgess production is some ill ****, trippy synths , mega drums, **** pretty cool..more along the lines of uptempo soul music then sterotypical disco..

Oh hail yeah! Fluent got good taste! I don't really sample that stuff though, I mix it.

By Db75 Fri Aug 27, 2004 2:57 pm
i think.....

a good sample is one that expresses an emotion or theme the moment you hear it

and that kind of sample could be absolutely ANYWHERE

but movie soundtracks are good, because in a lot of films, the soundtrack has to match the theme of the film, so the way a movie LOOKS on the front cover on the record is like a visual representation of the sounds you can expect to hear, horror movie soundtracks are probably the best example of this

By shadeed Fri Aug 27, 2004 3:21 pm
I used to look for classical music --violins and things of the sort.

Then I got heavy into the older reggae sound before dancehall caught on with the mainstream.

Now I'm into sampling from old radio broadcasts and things like that.
I'm heavy into sampling Go-Go music nowadays and I wanna be the 1st to bring that sound to a national level, some of the best live music you'll hear out there nowadays.

I like Jedi Mind Tricks sampling Mike Tyson soundbytes! That right there is ill!

By Archetype_J Fri Aug 27, 2004 3:59 pm
I hooked up my laptop to my TV the other night and recorded a 2 hour Ray Charles concert that was on PBS.... if you go to aciplanet.com and search for "SubstanceLevelHigh"... listen to "Ray of Light"... you'll here him in the beginning.

I did the same with a James Brown (w/the JB's!) concert a while back as well.

By antix818 Fri Aug 27, 2004 5:10 pm
If I don't have a handtrax with me, this is what I look for:

Dudes with afros,
Dudes dressed like pimps,
Chicks with afros,
Dated 1976 or before,
Dope Artwork,
The Artists/Band look high.

Follow those rules and you'll do ok.

By boywithpez007 Sun Aug 29, 2004 9:06 am
lol antix.. im down with that.

U pick up anything dated before 76????

pez

By Blue Haze Mon Aug 30, 2004 8:12 am
Shit I listened to the old funk, pop, whatever stations when on the computer hear some shit I like write down the title, artist, whatever and keep it in memory whenever I`m in a store. Sit up listening to Uncle Ray talk about the big time cats back in the days and run to the shops to get it. Meet the over 50 crowd talk about music and whatnot to get a gem of knowledge of what to look for. Shit if you are in the library check out those old recordings and articles of the top 10s and shit back in the day. And if I can find a retired dj. I listen and ask him too. :D

By Blue Haze Mon Aug 30, 2004 8:13 am
Shit I listened to the old funk, pop, whatever stations when on the computer hear some shit I like write down the title, artist, whatever and keep it in memory whenever I`m in a store. Sit up listening to Uncle Ray talk about the big time cats back in the days and run to the shops to get it. Meet the over 50 crowd talk about music and whatnot to get a gem of knowledge of what to look for. Shit if you are in the library check out those old recordings and articles of the top 10s and shit back in the day. And if I can find a retired dj. I listen and ask him too. :D

By jpeg Tue Aug 31, 2004 10:05 am
Im down with antix818's list but id add the following:

1.Dont buy records with a shiny laminate finish
2. Stay away from the following: CBS, Kudu, CTI, Bluenote
3. And madlib "dont pay more than 10 dollars" on a record, but thats £10 for me