Talk and share knowledge on rare records, sources of new samples, vinyl, diggin, etc

By jpeg Wed Sep 01, 2004 3:52 pm
The liks sampled something from innervisions I think, but i would sample anything that has some inspiring dopeness on it, dont give a dam if it was stevie or herbie props to them dudes but they aint gonna know about me sampling my shit so why limit ur self?

whatever

Stevie got some cool sounds on his album but im waiting for the instrumental re-issues or them 70's albums lol.

By DSTRUCT Wed Sep 01, 2004 9:18 pm
stevie supposed to be droppin a brand new album any week now. its callled "time 4 love" or time 2 love". wow
By beetjunkeeee Thu Sep 02, 2004 2:05 am
just curious if u ever heard the stevie project madlib did...
what u think

By Cell Thu Sep 02, 2004 2:25 am
Wow! It doesnt seem like anyone remembers but allot of Stevie has been used. For one thing Pastime Paradise was sampled, not played, on Project Blowed and by Coolio not to metnion about 5 other even wacker people. For that matter Songs in the key of life has been pretty much raped. Tribe used the horns of Sir Duke on their first album. The album Plant Life was sampled multiple times also. Albums I wouldnt sample are: any breakbeat record, San Antonio based funk group Mickey and The Soul Generation(cause its just too dope), and last anything that EL P from Def Jux has ever sampled or touched because that would be bad luck! He is by far the worst producer ever.

By incurablebeatlust Thu Sep 02, 2004 3:43 am
i don't know if i thonk hes the worst but def overrated.

By theassfathasescaped Thu Sep 02, 2004 4:02 pm
I'd like to say I wouldn't sample from Bob Marley out of respect, but since I already have I guess I'd be lying. :)
By DSTRUCT Thu Sep 02, 2004 4:36 pm
beetjunkeeee wrote:just curious if u ever heard the stevie project madlib did...
what u think

never heard it, but ive heard of it. im real curious about it.

have yall peeped that rare stevie instrumental ish? eivets rednow? sh*ts hot
By en2 Thu Sep 02, 2004 5:26 pm
where the bunk is su ami, or am i the fool

By Cheech Fri Sep 03, 2004 8:41 am
ha ha I've been asked that before...
It's Su Ami as in Suomi, Finland. Writing it that way just makes it look more exotic :D

That's Great Britain in the bottom left corner, to give you an idea of the placement on the map.

By DjKinetik Fri Sep 03, 2004 7:38 pm
Blue Haze wrote:Steve was already sampled with the song (That Girl) and some other joints I can`t remember put the producer chopped the **** out of it to make it hard to identify. It was on a West Coast joint in the 90s it will come to me later. I feel if you can flip it right like the dude did it would be just like flipping Marvin Gaye or Sam Cookes classics. It up to the producer`s ear. Never limit yourself.
Damn was that a ill al Scratch song???

I remember now that "Livin it up" by **** Rule was Do I do and that **** was nice. The first one will come to me later.

"So Many Tears" by 2Pac...that's the record...can't even touch the sample since 2Pac was on it...

By fobedafied Sat Sep 04, 2004 4:17 am
Cell wrote:Wow! It doesnt seem like anyone remembers but allot of Stevie has been used. For one thing Pastime Paradise was sampled, not played, on Project Blowed and by Coolio not to metnion about 5 other even wacker people. For that matter Songs in the key of life has been pretty much raped. Tribe used the horns of Sir Duke on their first album. The album Plant Life was sampled multiple times also. Albums I wouldnt sample are: any breakbeat record, San Antonio based funk group Mickey and The Soul Generation(cause its just too dope), and last anything that EL P from Def Jux has ever sampled or touched because that would be bad luck! He is by far the worst producer ever.

yes Project Blowed... the defining album of the LA underground from '94, anyone that never heard this album, cop that ish by any means...

the song is "Solo is So Low" by tre loc, hot ish no doubt!

i was bummed out when i heard the Coolio song, what is it "Gangsta'z Paradise"?

By Blue Haze Sat Sep 04, 2004 2:31 pm
Maybe instead of songs I wouldnt sample threads, songs I wish I coud flip without a mofo knowing :D. Come to think about it as producers and djs most of us will recognize shit if we hear it enough or read the credits and run out to get it. The general public wouldn`t know jack about the artist or the music just that it sounds good. Most of this here is about winning your peers respects or jumping through some hoops about what to sample and whatnot because some other producer hasn`t flip so and so yet or dont know how to do it. As long as you can make the shit sound great, put some creativity into it Do you. **** what ya heard!!!!!! :D It`s friday nite I just got paid, I`m feeling tipsy. **** with this Stevie sample..11 :D

By AndrewMack Sat Sep 04, 2004 3:09 pm
Blaknif wrote:I love Stevie to death, but I will sample him!!!!
Face it dude has some bangin' sh!t

Word on that - isn't that like the biggest sign of respect - that something is so dope you had to use it ?

And didn't Blackalicious sample some Stevie too ? You know people make the world go round ?

By elmacaco Sat Sep 04, 2004 7:31 pm
Anyone I won't sample, outta respect? Current Samplists!!

By DSTRUCT Sun Sep 05, 2004 12:09 am
i dont know i just like listening to stevie yo.