Talk and share knowledge on rare records, sources of new samples, vinyl, diggin, etc
By Scrach'n808 Sat Feb 20, 2016 6:44 pm
Hey guys, I am looking for percussion smamples to create this 80's sound you hear in examples like this. Of course I know TR-808 but I mean those reverbed kicks and snares.
Baltimora - Tarzan Boy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_r0n9Dv6XnY
Phil Collins - In The Air Tonight LIVE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbWPfxc2WZM&feature=youtu.be&t=330 @ 5:30
B-LASH - FUNK-O-TRONIC - SNIPPET
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auaRuqx5UeI&feature=youtu.be&t=167 @ 2:47

do you know free or purchaseable sources for samples like this? I don't want to cut/chop from records.

thank you in advance.
By mr_debauch Sat Feb 20, 2016 8:54 pm
the first link.. i think maybe look into the sounds from the roland TR-505, also the yamaha RX series like the rx17 for example..

phil collins, i think those are real toms and i think maybe a reverb will get you there if you try messing with some similar sounding drum sounds with a reverb added on the top.

try that out.. you can also get some of the bendy and whistly sounding laser toms from some vintage drum machine kits (maybe the mini pops or something similar)
By SEMS Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:06 pm
I haven't listened to the clips yet, but straight off the bat you need LinnDrum sounds. Most of those 80s records were made with the Roland TRs & even more so LinnDrum. Also there's a Yamaha box, can't remember the model off top, but that was more a late-70s Kraftwerk type thing. The Linn is the one you need.

And there are sample packs all over the place with those. Akai even gave one out for free back in the day.
By Scrach'n808 Sun Feb 28, 2016 5:00 am
Ihank you for the input. Fortunatly I already got some sample librarys with TR-505, yamaha RX and Linn stuff. I might also have a look at the "ABBEY ROAD | 80S DRUMMER" to bounce some stuff out. If you have any more Ideas, don't stop replying them.
By mr_debauch Sun Feb 28, 2016 7:04 am
well did you try those samples with some reverb plug ins and stuff?
By Scrach'n808 Sun Feb 28, 2016 9:42 am
I will but I have to save up some days for this. Can you recommend special reverbs? Should I use alcorythmic or convolution or should i try to get some kind of spring reverb on ebay? or should i just use the the reverb of the mpc?
By mr_debauch Sun Feb 28, 2016 7:06 pm
just try the reverb plug ins you have already... and maybe if those dont work then you could try googling for free vst plug ins.

it's going to help you to try and make that sound on your own... that type of practice doing a bit of sound design in going to really come in handy as you go along.
By JamesJeffery Sat Apr 09, 2016 11:23 pm
SEMS wrote:You need LinnDrum sounds. Most of those 80s records were made with the Roland TRs & even more so LinnDrum.

^^^ This.

I have some packs I will try and upload this weekend.
By JamesJeffery Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:41 pm
Sorry I totally forgot dude. I will get them up in the next 24 hours. Applogies. Feel free to badger the shit out of me until I upload them :p
By tapedeck Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:22 pm
Scrach'n808 wrote:
tapedeck wrote:gate the reverb. instant 80s drums.

thank you for this tip! it got me to this nice tutorial
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6L_BG0Qhg0

yer welcome

Scrach'n808 wrote:
JamesJeffery wrote:^^^ This.
I have some packs I will try and upload this weekend.

Can I find them somwhere? :-D

google: linndrum samples. they are everywhere :mrgreen:
By The Jackal Sat Dec 24, 2016 6:39 pm
All my Yamaha RX series drum machines sound 80's as ****. Pretty much any drum machine out of the 80's does, as that's what they were using. And lots of gated reverb or run them through reverb & cut the tails of your samples off.

Just buy an old drum machine off of Craigslist, sample it, then resell it. The old ones are cheap and readily available enough that that's what I usually do.
By JVC Sat Dec 24, 2016 9:28 pm
Like Tapedeck and others already mentioned, reverb on Linndrum, instant 80s' drum. Yamaha RX and Alesis HR-16 were often used as well.
By mr_debauch Sun Dec 25, 2016 1:23 am
well since many of them were romplers.. you can download packs for free online for most of those machines... there are some collections floating around with every RX, the alesis, all the TR (even samples from the synth ones) and many more like the simmons, e-mu, polaris, etc...

most of which came out in the 70's and 80's.