Talk and share knowledge on rare records, sources of new samples, vinyl, diggin, etc
By d2ba Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:54 am
Hi which is better quality the 7" 45RPM or the LP version for sampling quality?
By Coz Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:44 am
LP due to the 45 having a tighter circle and more distortion.
By JVC Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:21 pm
Living Bate wrote:i've always found my 45's to be far louder and clearer than LP's

if i'm doing a 45 blend and throw in a track from an LP i always have to whack the trim right up and EQ it because they sound muffled in comparison.....

https://www.classic45s.com/why45s/45sound.html

The link is a good read, but I found it a bit biased.

I found that it is usually the case (7-inch version is louder), but in reality, as digger's point of view, used 7-inch singles are more likely to have been abused by first owner then used LPs...

Plus, I find that majority of 7-inches are pressed thinner than LPs, which also affect sound quality.
So, I don't expect any 7-inch releases to be hi-fi. I like 12-inch maxi singles for that matter, especially ones that pressed on 45RPM.

To me, collecting 7-inch is fun because 7-inch single usually feature the best version (or most known version) of the song. Also, there are a lot of songs that were only released on 7-inch singles (for instance, "Funky Drummer" was 7-inch single only release, until "The Jungle Groove" comp. Same for Honey Dripper's "Impeach The President.", etc.)
By tapedeck Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:41 pm
there's no real right answer here - sometimes the 7" sounds better, sometimes the 12" sounds better, yes 45s are often in bad shape... just use what is available to you and maybe don't put too much weight into what is 'better'.

12" is likely the most hi-fidelity, with the most space used to reproduce the music, but still...different pressings, different masterings, its really always gonna depend on the actual records yer looking at.