Talk and share knowledge on rare records, sources of new samples, vinyl, diggin, etc

By gmixstudios Sun Aug 05, 2007 9:36 am
soft side for dust spikey side for grubby stainsImage

By JHouse Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:49 am
Thanks to all that contributed on this thread.

Today I went out and almost bought Windex, but I didn't trust it 'cause I didn't want them putting in too much alcohol and drying out my records...eventually. So, I did the 20% rubbing alcohol and 80% distilled water. Bought it all with the water bottle and all that for less than $3...less than Windex. This shit will last me a loooooooong time and it works like a champ. **** groove glide, that was a waste of money. I've never talked to anybody that noticed a difference after applying groove glide, compared to any other method.

Thanks again for the solid input.

Peace.

By Recordkingz Sun Jan 27, 2008 6:11 pm
AND ADD IN 2 DROPS OF CAMERA DEGREASING AGENT EACH TIME YOU MAKE UP A MIX
IT STOPS THE SMEARS (:
I NOTICED SOMEONE MENTIONED HALF DISTILLED WATER AND HALF ALCHOHOL ,NO WAY THATS TO STRONG AND COULD DAMAGE CERTAIN RECORDS

samplerate wrote:Use distilled water and alcohol, but 1 part alcohol to 5 parts water. If you don't use distilled water you'll fu@k up your wax.....

By wavemartian Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:14 am
G'day Cobbers!.
I use Tergitol . It is a non-ionic surfactant, water based. I think it is used and reccommended by the Canadian sound film archives. You can finish off with some IPA

By cunoSvaa Sat Mar 29, 2008 3:06 pm
i got a old school record cleaning set, but a good way to keep them clean is with a static gun after you dry them off from applying the cleaner keep the dust from landing back on when you slip thme back into the sleeves
By MPC 4 ME Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:14 pm
I have these wet paper thingies which you use to clean LCD screens and glasses. Will these do for cleaning up records? Or have I been misinformed?
By Ill-Green Sun Nov 30, 2008 8:23 pm
I use Finlandia vodka. Pour some on a record and let sit for a minute. Then gently wipe off with a paper towel going along the grooves. It deep cleans and knocks out any film building up causing needle skippage. :D
By beatcrazy Mon Dec 29, 2008 6:52 pm
I just use straight alcohol and toilet paper,it gets the dirt off and leaves the crackle and pops and things..Hip Hop

Re:

By objektivone Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:37 pm
dstruction wrote:when yall clean your records though, does it sound too "clean". I mean, i sample from wax because it sounds grimey. Will cleaning em make em sound clear like a cd almost?

If they are old records and dust in the grooves it might still sound grimey. It will just pull the dirt off the top layer so it doesn't mess your needle up.

My mixture is %20 Isopropyl Alochol and the rest water. Record collector shop by my house uses only water %80 of the time.
Too much alcohol is bad for the record I thought.....

Like maybe it gets drunk or something

ZING!
By The Grublet Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:58 pm
clean my records with fingerprints.