Talk and share knowledge on rare records, sources of new samples, vinyl, diggin, etc
By Sweaty Hectic Sat Aug 01, 2009 10:01 am
Holy shit, some crazy misinformation in this thread!

Vinyl is a plastic - you really think it can handle these chemicals?

Stick to the commercial record cleaning fluid if you aren't cleaning many records and don't understand the process of cleaning vinyl, that way you at least know you aren't going to ruin your shit! It is like 3 bucks a bottle and a bottle will last you like a crate or two, depending how you use it.

Otherwise, from speaking to people the only other option I would try is the distilled water mixed with a small amount of rubbing alcohol and maybe a few drops of a wetting agent. Even then..

And remember, rub with the grooves!
By Mrfunk76 Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:45 am
One good thing about warm water and records is if u have records that r warped u can soak them in warm water five ten mins then take out dry them fast an place them on a hard flat surface with an old t shirt between the surface an record place other t shirt on top the record an another hard flat surface on top I've done this with two old school wooden heavy house speakers bout 40lbs each it will sometimes unwarp records depending on how hot the water an how fast u get the record pressed oh an let it sit for a day if you've ever digged for records on the side walk half the time there's old heavy speaker boxs next to them
By thx Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:43 am
i´ve found this page
http://www.audiointelligent.com/rcmmuseum.htm
a friend of mine that owns a vintage records shop tell me about this liquid
http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue2 ... ligent.htm
but i've never tried it
he also tells me that this liquid it's got to be used with a record cleaning machine
and it's not really easy use those liquids in the right way
the stuff is good because it cleans all the dust from the surface of the record
but i also like some "fried chicken"! :mrgreen:
so i don't clean my records frequently
By JVC Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:18 am
Sweaty Hectic wrote:Holy shit, some crazy misinformation in this thread!

Vinyl is a plastic - you really think it can handle these chemicals?

Yes, it is just crazy how some people treat vinyls...

Those good record cleaners are expensive for reason, those solutions are free of impurities (well, close to, technically.) and does not contain chemicals that damage vinyls.

I posted this on other similar thread, but I like wiping vinyls with slightly dumped 3M microfiber clothes.
(I am surprised that no one has mentioned microfiber clothes here.) It is safe for vinyls, and very time & cost effective.
By thx Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:36 am
^
thanks for the tip
and obviously also distilled water is good to clean records
:wink:
By peterpiper Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:27 pm
JVC wrote:
Sweaty Hectic wrote:(I am surprised that no one has mentioned microfiber clothes here.) It is safe for vinyls, and very time & cost effective.

I did :) Wait......maybe it was another thread.

peace
By JVC Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:47 pm
Nagaoka Rolling Cleaner has been around for long time (I think it was reissue recently), it is great for removing dust particles on vinyls. Unlike brush, it won't scratch record by dragging hard dust particles on vinyls, it would stick on the roller instead.

By the way, I think this guy nailed on how to clean up filthy vinyls. Not creative or anything, but very logical and effective way to clean up old dusty, moldy records.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lR8vJXNSHs8

I would use microfiber cloth, instead of sponge, but I think it is the most effective (cost and time) way to clean up old dusty, moldy records.
The method is actually not that different from using VPI vacuum record cleaner machine.

I don't think wood glue method is not efficient way to clean records. It takes too long (only one side can be "cleaned" at a time! and you have to wait for the glue to dry completely), and it is not that cheap method anyway.
By jibber Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:12 pm
I've tried the wood glue method. It works very good, but it's also time consuming and not exactly cheap.

I cleaned 25 records (both sides) this past weekend. Time spent was about four hours in total. Including the new record sleeves (don't forget to get new sleeves if you clean your records), i spent roughly one Euro per record... thinking i got roughly 1'000 records, i gotta find something cheaper... however, the results are amazing... :o
By JVC Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:46 pm
I think wood-glue method is good for taking off sticky stuff.
For instance, I have ruined a few records with candle wax on it, which is impossible to remove with any kind of liquid cleaners.
By JVC Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:18 pm
OK, this has to be the newest method.
Not a cleaning method, but it is recovery method.

This method involves sanding the surface of records. It may sound radical, but it makes sense. Please read it through before making comment.
Again, this is recovery method.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Bring-R ... k-to-Life/

I think this work well for old vinyls and maxi 12 inch singles, which have deeper grooves. I don't think this works well with, for instance, Public Enemy's 2nd album vinyl.
By peterpiper Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:18 pm
JVC wrote:OK, this has to be the newest method.
Not a cleaning method, but it is recovery method.

This method involves sanding the surface of records. It may sound radical, but it makes sense. Please read it through before making comment.
Again, this is recovery method.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Bring-R ... k-to-Life/

I think this work well for old vinyls and maxi 12 inch singles, which have deeper grooves. I don't think this works well with, for instance, Public Enemy's 2nd album vinyl.

Thanks. This sounds interesting. I will try it on some records.

peace