Talk and share knowledge on rare records, sources of new samples, vinyl, diggin, etc
By JVC Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:19 pm
StarOne wrote:There is a lot of bad information going around the internet :( But its like that when anyone can convince.

I'de say read read read this. Says better then I can with accurate proof as to why a lot of methods here mentioned are not okay.

http://cleaningvinyllps.blogspot.com/20 ... y.html?m=1

I can agree on the most of the statements on the article, but I don't agree on the comment on Spin Clean:

...but do not recommend using the Spin Clean cleaning machine. All this does is embed dirt deeper into the grooves.

Spin Clean cleaning machine (although I don't call it "machine") does great job cleaning records (I've just bought one.) What's so unique about Spin Clean is that it washes record IN the tank, so that brushed-out dart can freely move out from the groove. Plus, because of the clever spinning method, vinyl groove always move move to the precise direction, so that brush can render groove perfectly.

If you choose to use this make sure the rollers that excerpt quite a bit of pressure are free from grit as you can and will scratch your collection as a result. You want to get the crud off of your album,not squeeze it back in.

I can agree with it, if the vinyl is super dusty, I'd wash off all the dart in sink first, then I'd use Spin clean.

... Also note with the Spin Clean machine if your cleaning a real dirty LP,the filth left in the pan will just ''spin'' onto the next record you attempt to clean so would advise you use a separate pan with clean distilled water for a final rinse, though I think their cleaning fluid is fabulous!

I can agree on it, but I use less amount of Spin Cleaning fluid than directed. Either way, I'd recommend change water frequently.
Some people use two Spin Clean units, one for cleaning, and rinse for another.
By Star One Sat Oct 11, 2014 3:11 pm
Someone in my area mentioned that about the Spin Clean aswell. Im thinking of maybe getting one. Now hearing that twice. Going to look into it some more. Great addition by the way :)
By JVC Sat Oct 11, 2014 7:31 pm
StarOne wrote:Someone in my area mentioned that about the Spin Clean aswell. Im thinking of maybe getting one. Now hearing that twice. Going to look into it some more. Great addition by the way :)

If you buy used records a lot, Spin Clean will save you a lot of time.
It also works great for brand new records. The sound improvement may be more noticeable than on used records. Surface of new records are not even clean (contains fair amount of dust during pressing process.)
By jcovert Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:50 am
I buy all the records and let God sort them out.

But I take time to try to restore records as much as possible, and I keep dirty records quarantined until I get to them. Whoever gets my records one day is gonna know that they were cared for. There's nothing better than buying records from people who took care of them, so I'm just returning the favor.