Talk and share knowledge on rare records, sources of new samples, vinyl, diggin, etc
By thx Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:03 pm
acekid wrote:Clean Records With Wood Glue aka The Vinyl Facelift

via http://www.cratekings.com/clean-records-with-wood-glue-aka-the-vinyl-facelift/#more-3188

this is cool!
eheheheh
i've heard of this before but never tried i'm a little bit scary...
By peterpiper Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:05 am
I dont know how much this glue cost but I guess my isopropyl / destillated water mix is much cheaper. I mean very much cheaper. I guess I pay 1 cent to clean 5 records or so.

peace
By thx Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:47 am
^
i was talking 'bout that solution with a friend that got a records shop where i go digging every now and then (OT: where i found a good cannonball adderley lp yestereday, US pressing, my man got mad records at cheaply prices!)
i think is good, got to try it sooner as possible
thanks
By dviaje Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:54 pm
When should I know when my (A.) Needle needs to be changed (B.) Cartridge needs to be replaced? I did do a search, I just want different peoples perspectives
Basically Im getting very low output from both of my needle setups. Doesnt even light up the levels on the mixer.... Think its a syntom of dead needle, but I just wanna make sure
Thanks
By thx Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:57 am
if you listen to records everyday i think your needle got to be changed every year, but it depends also on the needle...
i use ortofon needles (with spherical tips), but if you use normal needles (triangular), and they are no more in shape, you risk to ruin your records without noticing.
sorry for my bad english
By DickFace Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:41 pm
zach wrote:i treat my vinyl like my bitches.

so basically you stare at vinyl on the internet and wack off and then get busted when your moms walks in the room?

:lol:
By davehate Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:49 pm
dviaje wrote:When should I know when my (A.) Needle needs to be changed (B.) Cartridge needs to be replaced? I did do a search, I just want different peoples perspectives
Basically Im getting very low output from both of my needle setups. Doesnt even light up the levels on the mixer.... Think its a syntom of dead needle, but I just wanna make sure
Thanks

yeah it could be your needles..but it also could be your rcas on your tables...the one most awesome thing about serato is the setup/callibration screen..it will tell you every single aspect of your setup..from sound output,tracking,weight on tone arm...wether your needles going bad,rcas going bad,pitch out of wack...i check it every so often useing serato and its awesome..like a diagnostic for your setup.

but to answer your question better....

try tightening up the four cables in your cartridge if thats the type you have,clean the connection points regurly on the tone arm and the rcas,and clean your stylus regurly...especially if your a cratedigger..just because a record looks clean doesnt mean it doesant have a shit ton of crap in the grooves....best thing is to always clean a record before playing..will keep your stylus lasting a hell of alot longer!
By Dom Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:25 pm
Any opinions on the thickness of vinyl (outer) covers? Which do you use? Resealable okay or does it eventually not seal?

I'm thinking about these:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1000-12-Super-Polyclear-Resealable-1mil-Record-Outer-Sleeves-Bags-Vinyl-LP-/400289627098

or these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/12inch-Record-OUTER-SLEEVES-4mil-PLASTIC-w-NO-TAPE-FLAP-12-lp-vinyl-album-/390472185166 (and using scotch tape or another tape)

I'd like to buy a lot of them all at once and save over the long-term. I can't have the vinyl in the garage and don't want them inside if they're all smelly.

On this website, http://lpcoverlover.com/restoration-tips/, there's a ton of comments (a lot of disagreements, too).

Anyways, one of the tips I'm cautious to try out... is the microwave trick. Honestly, if this works. I might do it for all my vinyl covers - just to get the funk out. Seems like a good idea, if it doesn't catch on fire? :hmmm:

Removing Mildew & Storage Odor:

Contribution from another eBay member – put the cover (without the record) in the microwave for 20-30 seconds. The microwave will extract the moisture. Repeat as necessary for a clean smelling sleeve.

So anyone tried the above?
By peterpiper Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:38 pm
I once put a bad smelling sponge into the microwave cause I read it kills the smell (I used a bit water and dishliquid on it before I put it in there). It worked but the side effect was that there was a lot of smelly damp when I opened up the microwave door :)

I also felt that I have to clean the microwave before I put in something to eat again.
I guess you can really get some unhealthy meal if the microwaves doesn't kill all the mold from the cover

peace
By Dom Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:34 am
peterpiper wrote:
I guess you can really get some unhealthy meal if the microwaves doesn't kill all the mold from the cover

Even not, I'd be thinking - probably - about all those covers that were put in earlier.

I might have a microwave to use specifically for this task, though. I don't think I've bought any records with mold, just thought it'd be a good, easy way to kill germs and whatnot.