Exchange tips and tricks for the Akai MPC4000
By helloitsmeagain Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:00 pm
so occasionally my HHD shows up just to say hi, then it buggers off again. it was driving me crazy enough that i finally got round to removing all those screws and opening up the box. no issues with loose cables, at least none i could find.

slipped on some rubber shoes and booted it up while open. :smoker:

the HHD spins up, the cd drive opens and closes. if i hit the 'find' option while in the load menu, i get "invalid volume handle". any thoughts?

disconnected the HHD and tried again, still didnt' even see the CD drive.

i'm stuck in singapore. nobody is gonna be able to fix this except me... for a while the USB solution was good enough but it's getting frustrating.
By SimonInAustralia Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:51 pm
helloitsmeagain wrote:disconnected the HHD and tried again, still didnt' even see the CD drive.

With both the HD and CD drives installed, the HD is probably set to be an IDE Master on the IDE bus, and the CD is probably set to be an IDE Slave.

If you remove the HD, you have to set the CD to be an IDE Master, instead of an IDE Slave, for it to work without the HD.
By helloitsmeagain Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:16 am
SimonInAustralia wrote:
helloitsmeagain wrote:disconnected the HHD and tried again, still didnt' even see the CD drive.

With both the HD and CD drives installed, the HD is probably set to be an IDE Master on the IDE bus, and the CD is probably set to be an IDE Slave.

If you remove the HD, you have to set the CD to be an IDE Master, instead of an IDE Slave, for it to work without the HD.

thanks! i'll give that a go.
By helloitsmeagain Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:31 am
Metatron72 wrote:Form factor, yes. But I'm not sure if a UDMA HDD is an issue or not as ATA drives are the norm.

This older Seagate is confirmed by Akai to work.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6822148095

But they don't have any for sale there. But at least that's the precise confirmed spec.

this one seems to match, though 160GB.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 5AD1T69209