Exchange tips and tricks for the Akai MPC4000
By Kalou Sat Sep 27, 2014 5:48 am
I have some programmes and songs from my 60 and 3000 days. I love to play them again but whatever configuration I drive with multiple zip drives I can never get the MPC to recognize the drive.

It's always stuck on searching for SCSI but nothing happens; I just have to reboot. It's not a faulty drive because I've used several, the cable was new the disks are fine. I can't see any SCSI options to change in the 4000 menus.

Any help would be welcomed.
By SimonInAustralia Sat Sep 27, 2014 5:59 am
Is it definitely a SCSI Zip drive?

You made a post a couple of days ago (which you deleted shortly after posting it), where you mentioned that you could only connect it to once of the two connectors on the Zip drive, due to the other connector being a different gender, and having what you thought was a printer symbol above the connector, which sounds like a parallel port Zip drive rather than a SCSI Zip drive.

http://www.iomega.com/europe/support/en ... 1382e.html

If it is actually a SCSI Zip drive, what SCSI ID have you set it to, and do you have termination turned on, on the switches on the rear of the Zip drive?

Is the SCSI ID of the drive set to be a different SCSI ID to the MPC4000?

Can you select the SCSI ID of the drive in the Load Disk: field?
By Kalou Sat Sep 27, 2014 6:12 am
I deleted that last post because I thought I may have solved my own problem. I thought to buy a female to female adapter which would allow me to plug the cable into the socket labeled Zip but alas same issue.

I believe it to be a Zip drive but looking at that list it resembles the Zip 250 Parallel Port drive. There are no switches on the back and on the MPC I can't change the number assigned to it which is 6. Does this Parallel Port drive not support SCSI?
By SimonInAustralia Sat Sep 27, 2014 6:19 am
No, a parallel port Zip drive only connects to a PC printer/parallel port.

That is different to a SCSI Zip drive.

No SCSI ID or SCSI termination switches on the back means that it is not a SCSI Zip drive, and is not going to work with your MPC4000.
By SimonInAustralia Sat Sep 27, 2014 3:41 pm
In the first post he says he has some MPC60/3000 files that he wants to use, I assume they are on Zip, so he needs some sort of Zip drive to read them, either on his MPC, or on a computer to then transfer to the MPC by another method.

And he might not be able to access them from a computer anyway. No idea how accessing them from the MPC4000 is going to go either.
By Kalou Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:48 am
I thought of a workaround which worked that wouldn't involve shelling out for a SCSI zip drive (the drives are cheap, shipping isn't).

I used DiskDrill to search the disks for files. The good thing about this program is it could recognise each of the four partitions on the disk. From there I just recovered the files and will transfer from my Mac to the MPC.

As a side note before I did that I thought to use the Windows XP Parallel install I have set up but that way I just got a message informing me the disk was not formatted.

Nice to hear the old stuff again even if it sounds a little off when transferred from a 3000.
By rogue scrunt Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:32 am
check the scsi ID on the mpc4000, perhaps it is set to the same number as the drive, if so make sure they have different numbers