Exchange tips and tricks for the Akai MPC4000
By percussion boy Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:03 pm
This place has taught me a lot as I get a 4k up and running. Thanks to all for great information.

i stumbled on a couple problems/fixes I haven't seen mentioned on the forum (although they probably are):

1. A RAM stick not seated correctly (must push both ends down firmly, til they click) caused my 4k to make no sound at all, from main outs or headphone jack. What was really strange was that all 272 mb of RAM still showed up as memory in GLOBAL, and i could load samples as usual . . . but no audio came out. Pulling the RAM out, then putting it back in (ALL the way in) fixed the problem.

2. As people around here know, it's possible to pull the ribbon cable to the screen partly loose from its connector on the main board when you pop the hood on the 4k. What surprised me is that you can not only get a dead *screen* from a loose cable, but also an MPC that won't power up AT ALL. Not a good feeling.

The fix is easy though: If the ribbon (the one that leads "upstairs" at its other end to the screen) is not inserted all the way into the connector on the board, pull the end of the cable out of the connector, then gently push it back in evenly, as far as it will go. When I did this the mpc came back to life.

Hope something here is useful. Thanks again for having all the facts here for us rookies.