Exchange tips and tricks for the Akai MPC4000
By gearhead Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:43 pm
I have the mpc 4000, mbox mini, and a um-1ex usb midi interface. My question is i want to track my music via midi so i can mix in protools. is this possible with this set up? And how do i go about setting this up?.Thank you in advance for your help. :hmmm:
By Mike Boogie Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:04 pm
Probably the MIDI sync portion.... There is a comprehensive post about this very topic, on this forum, specifically for the 4000.

I not goin to search FOR you...
By gearhead Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:42 pm
The mbox mini does not have midi in or midi out. So i have to use a midi interface to get the information from the mpc 4000 into protools on my mac. If im not mistaken i will have to connect the um-1ex midi
interface to mpc 4000 then plug the usb end to my mac. Then i guess i would have to configure the mpc and the protools software to recognize each other slave or master somthing like. This is what i gathered so far. I want to get each track off the mpc into protools and mix them. If you have any experience with this your help is appreciated.
By benKingsley Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:22 am
Go buy one of the cheap Midi IN/OUT to USB cables or if you have other midi gear you want to control/sequence, get a USB Midi interface from Motu or iConnectMidi etc...

Add a midi input channel to your protools session and select the proper port (probably 1 if you're just using the MPC)... make sure it is record enabled and simply play your sequence... It should show up as Midi data within protools.
By gearhead Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:17 pm
benKingsley wrote:Go buy one of the cheap Midi IN/OUT to USB cables or if you have other midi gear you want to control/sequence, get a USB Midi interface from Motu or iConnectMidi etc...

Add a midi input channel to your protools session and select the proper port (probably 1 if you're just using the MPC)... make sure it is record enabled and simply play your sequence... It should show up as Midi data within protools.

Thanks for your input. This worked like a charm.