Exchange tips and tricks for the Akai MPC4000
By feline1 Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:10 pm
Mickey freeland wrote:Is there any way either Foge or MC Smoove could actually post a list of the Hex chains for each function they created? I think the lack of basic understanding of sysex is whats scaring a lot of people off from sinking their teeth into this project and having the actual commands laid out would be a big help. I understand if it's too much trouble, however. Thanks for all the info! :-D

They ARE laid out: in the MPC4000/Z4/Z8 SysEx Reference PDF!

Where the hell do you think we got them from in the first place, psychic powers?
By Lampdog Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:13 am
If at least a decent developer with a decent track record I'd buy it in a hertzbeat.
By mudhoney Fri Sep 02, 2016 5:51 pm
For example I've got:

- 1 multi with 3 parts (each one assigned to a different program, "prog1", "prog2" and "prog3" )

i want to modify filter cutoff of "prog2" with a sysex string let's say to "40"

what is the right sysex string to write ?

I've read a lot of things but i can't made it work. Maybe an example would help me :P
By Stratblue Tue Jun 27, 2023 11:17 am
Hi there.

I've been trying to understand the info in the 2nd pic, table 53, for about 2 days now but it's like showing a card trick to a dog. I've successfully implemented many of the sysex commands but this just eludes me, mainly this concept of offset which is mentioned.

The idea is to manipulate programs in specified parts of a Multi but I just can't get it. Looking at the 1st pic, how do I get to set polyphony (&10) for example? It's simple to do it to the 'current' program as it's called in the manual, but it's via the Multi that's the issue.

Thanks.

'Paging MC Smooth, MC Smooth to the courtesy phone please. Thank you.'

Shared album: https://photos.app.goo.gl/XQKXH77vmTMuR354A
By wavejockey Fri Jun 30, 2023 11:46 am
there's only 52 pages in my MIDI sysex manual - do you have more in your manual ? (mine is 1.50)

the section corresponds with the buttons on the MPC (MAIN, PROGRAM, MIDI etc)
but to be able to edit the NOT currently assigned program/multi/sample etc they have come up with
sections &68 and &69

only programs assigned to a multi can be edited this way
note that all (the same) programs assigned to a part in a multi will be edited/changed the same way
you have to lookup first what parameter you want to edit/change
with the table of that parameter you can define the offset section

so section &68 start @ &0C (keygroup zones section, p 16) and offset works from there
POLYPHONY is in the &12 section (keygroup, table 15) so the section offset would be 4 - if my math is correct
-you have 6 (? in the manual it comes up with 8 possible values 0-7) possible tables to refer to for section &68 (table 12 - 17 ; i can only come up with 6 possible values), and 4 tables for section &14 (table 18-21)

does this compute?
By Stratblue Tue Jul 04, 2023 10:11 am
Hey there Wave Jockey.

Thanks for your reply, I'm going to dig into this today, now I have some time, I'll get back to you on this. I have v1.5/52 pages also. Really appreciate your help.

Thx.
By Stratblue Sat Jul 08, 2023 2:01 pm
Hey there WJ.

Thanks, another question that has come up maybe you could answer, this 'mute all keygroup Zones' that is used as an example, is this even a thing? Or is it one of those features that never made it into the final OS? (record to disk!). I've looked through the manual and don't see it and when I send this

F0H 47H 5FH 00H 68H 02H 00H 00H 03H 0CH 00H 01H F7H

the example on page 51

I can't see anything change in the actual program in the Z8 Multi either. I see the mute groups but that's it.

I thought to see it happening in the program first might help but I can't even find that!

Thanks.
By Stratblue Sat Jul 08, 2023 4:01 pm
Hi there.

Still struggling to get this to work. Here's what I've been doing...

Table 12, page 16 is an offset value of 0?
Table 13 page 16 is an offset of 1?
Table 14 page 18 is an offset of 2?
Table 16 page 18 makes 3?
Or do i include table 15 page 18 to make 4? (is that a request?)

So...68(section) 04 (Offset. Tried 03 too) 00(part) 02(number of bytes) 0e(item) 1-64(data)

Also tried 68 04 00 03 00 (all keygroups) 0e 1-64

If i set the polyphony in the multi this way, when i go back to look at the program, will it reflect this change?

I am including all the other f0, f7 and Akai stuff.

Thanks!
By wavejockey Wed Jul 12, 2023 12:55 pm
indeed, it (the sysex manual) is very confusing in a japanese way

the tables above are for the control of the CURRENT selected program or sample or MULTI
because sections &60->&64 provide a backdoor, a direct line to editing certain parameters/ those above tables
BUT you'll need to specify the handle, aka the program or sample or MULTI your message is meant for
the handle is a DWORD (see page 9 for it's specs) right after the section and offset

&68 and &69 messages are meant as sysex control of a part in a MULTI
table 12 p16 (&0E) offset of 2 because the base is &0C - and so forth
number of bytes is indeed item + data1/2 etc, so in case of just item + data1 it is 2
i don't think you need to 'include' &0e (item) , this is just the base section (for the section offset calculation, and as a referral) , so take it/replace it from the item column &01 andsoforth

when you send the message <&F0> <&47> <&5F> <&00> <&68> <&02> <&00> <KG> <&03> <&0C> <&00> <&01> <&F7> will it mute the selected keygroup (zero based, to be filled in above) of the program in part 1 of the multi, as described in the manual on p51?

i don't think it will reflect changes unless you go (from the MULTI) to the program in question
what you also could do is try a get message to inquire the status
also, the manual clearly states (p5) that every valid sysex message will be answered by a reply message, are you seeing those ?