Exchange tips and tricks for the Akai MPC4000
By feline1 Fri May 29, 2009 12:34 pm
there is a small glass cartridge internal fuse on the MPC4000's PSU board, yes.

I had to change mine one time...

Be careful playing with the PSU board, however, or you may die :twisted:
By tiba Fri May 29, 2009 12:50 pm
Hi Feline, thank you for your help. I have removed the SPS80 PSU board and now I have deattached the fuse. I will test the fuse as soon as I have a multimeter on monday.
In the meantime I need to have some kind of conformation my HD/mobo is not dead. How big is the chance these components are fried? I believe a power conditioner (it is not mine, i am sharing a studio with a friend since only recently. dude is out of the country at the moment), so the power conditioner is a device which prevents units from overcooking due to too much power, is this correct? So in theory, the MPC couldn't have too much power at once, right?

I don't see any burn marks or melted plastic and she didn't smell burned yesterday, either.

Will a PC or mac read the MPC formatted disk? I have an IDE USB converter which I could use to attach IDE HD's on a computer with USB. I would like to test the internal MPC hard disk to see if it still works and if my data is still intact.

thanks again for your kind help.
By MPCHunter Fri May 29, 2009 6:19 pm
tiba wrote: believe a power conditioner (it is not mine, i am sharing a studio with a friend since only recently. dude is out of the country at the moment), so the power conditioner is a device which prevents units from overcooking due to too much power, is this correct? So in theory, the MPC couldn't have too much power at once, right?

Yes and no. Not all power/line conditioners are made the same. Some will not protect from a power surge or brownout.

The theory behind the line conditioner is that it filters the AC power to minimize any fluctuations in power delivery due to load imbalances, dirty power, etc.

The fuse inside the MPC is there to protect the internals from a large spike in current -- too much draw and the fuse pops saving the electronics. Glass fuses are used near the power supply, and on some of the PCBS, there are IC protectors which will protect the electronics.
By TSR Sat May 30, 2009 9:51 pm
feline1 wrote:Be careful playing with the PSU board, however, or you may die :twisted:

1+

I got an electric shock 2 of 4 times that I opened the 4K for servicing. Ouch!

TSR
By feline1 Sun May 31, 2009 11:21 am
Coz wrote:It helps if you unplug it first! :lol:

True,
but even that is not foolproof:
there are very big capacitors on that board -
they store a lot of electrical charge -
you will not want one of those to discharge into you. :shock:
By Coz Sun May 31, 2009 2:03 pm
I wish Akai had kept expanding on the 4k instead of moving backwards with later models. I know this is due to them transfering from one company to another, but just imagine if they had a 4kxl (or whatever) with suped up power and effects, but within the same beast of a box! Yes please!! :)
By Owlan Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:12 pm
I'm bumping this, as I think this is an issue for me i turened my machine off, and then back on again earlier and it didn't restart.

What voltage fuse do i need to replace the ceramic one with? Anyone know?
By JUKE 179r Sun Apr 02, 2017 3:15 am
What does it say on the ceramic fuse metal cap? Amps? Volts?
By JUKE 179r Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:46 pm
So what amp and voltage was the fuse? This info will help others who have a blown fuse on their MPC4000. Thanks.