Exchange tips and tricks for the Akai MPC4000
By jimfowler Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:36 pm
what's the first line in any electronics service manual? something about "...disconnect power cable before servicing..."?
By feline1 Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:00 am
jimfowler wrote:what's the first line in any electronics service manual? something about "...disconnect power cable before servicing..."?

lol yes I know!
But I needed to see which way the fan was blowing, which was impossible without having the power on. :oops:
By Coz Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:47 pm
For future reference, If you move a lighter or a match toward the fan, the flame will show you if it's pushing or pulling air.
By feline1 Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:19 pm
not if it's not spinning!

The direction of spin depends on the polarity of the connection - the plug didn't have any kind of notch so you could plug it either way.
By jimfowler Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:35 pm
in my experience, cooling fans (computers, motorcycles, cars) tend to extract heat rather than push in cooler air.
By feline1 Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:33 am
jimfowler wrote:in my experience, cooling fans (computers, motorcycles, cars) tend to extract heat rather than push in cooler air.

You don't quite seem to grasp the concept.

The 2-pin connector for the fan is just a simple d.c. power connector, one wire +ve, the other -ve.

If you plug it one way, the fan will spin clockwise; if you connect it the other way, the fan will spin anticlockwise. In one orientation is will blow; in the other it will totally suck.

As the was no labelling, I had to have the power on to see which way round to plug it.
The alternative would be to connect the fan, spend 11 minutes screwing the MPC4000 back together, than have a 50% chance the fan was sucking rather than blowing.
Admittedly, this 22 minute potential waste of one's life my be preferable to electrocution and death.
By jimfowler Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:01 pm
Oh, I grasp the concept completely (more so than you I'd say seeing as how i managed to get my fan replaced on the first try without zapping the sh!t out of myself) and you need not close the case to test the fan. Just don't do any installation/removal with the ac cable connected.
By feline1 Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:56 am
Jim, has it occured to you that I actually died on that day, and ever since I have been an undead zombie, who could quite likely come and eat yo brainz? :popcorn:
By Coz Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:49 pm
feline1 wrote:Jim, has it occured to you that I actually died on that day, and ever since I have been an undead zombie, who could quite likely come and eat yo brainz? :popcorn:

Your avatar backs this up. :nod:
By Fylthy Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:14 am
Just bought the NF-A6x25 PWM and looking to replace the old fan with it. I've read on threads about "splicing" and connections with certain color wires, but this fan has four - blue, green, yellow and black, so none are red. What is being spliced exactly? Can't find any documentation that explains which wire does what. Greatly appreciate any advice that can be offered :-)

EDIT: found this page if anyone needs help on this in the future - http://www.pavouk.org/hw/fan/en_fan4wire.html
By JUKE 179r Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:40 am
Just thinking out loud since I saw this topic... The fan casing it should have an arrow to show which way the air is to be extracted.