Exchange tips and tricks for the Akai MPC4000
By john415 Wed Nov 02, 2016 4:12 am
Hi my hard drive went out on my 4k. I saw on the thread that user's are installing ssd drive on there 4k. Can someone explain what I need so the ssd can work properly. Or can someone share a link with the instructions.

Thanks
John
By TheUnfuckwithable Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:24 am
john415 wrote:Can someone explain what I need so the ssd can work properly.

Sure thing!

I went for a P-ATA SSD because that´s a straight swap without the need for a converter of some sorts (like with S-ATA SSDs).

Here´s what you´ll need:

P-ATA SSD
40-pin to 44-pin adapter
2,5" to 3,5" drive bay

Be sure to set the jumper on the SSD to master!
By Ian Canefire Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:15 pm
Hi All,
This website is just great. Since I have owned the MPC this site never ceases to show me the power of organized dedicated minds willing to help each other. Bless.

To Un*&%$withable - your line about using Pata instead of Sata is exactly where my mind is. I just asked this question in Youtube and then after a quick search here I see that you have done what I was considering. Thanks for the links in your post.
My thinking is that I want the least expensive as well as easiest conversion. Plus I would rather a not so big harddrive because then I will have to worry about losing that much less data. Less is more sort of thing. As it stands now my MPC has 40gig in it and I am not even near using 20gig of that. )mind up I do have to scsi external 9gig hard drives also in a tower.
When I buy the parts I am going to make the most clear and specific video ever so that no questions are left out.
Right now it seems like a little bit of info is left out as I can think of a few questions.
One question being...
Does the new drive need to be formatted outside of the mpc before going in the MPC or will the MPC have a means of formatting the Pata drive once installed?:

Biggup!

Ian
By Horseclick Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:41 pm
ian dont go with pata, go with sata and a adapter no problems in 4k, 5k and can future proof your drives when you want to back up save onto a computer that does not have pata

Horseclick wrote:just to update while my mpc was open, i installed a StarTech 40 Pin IDE PATA to SATA Adapter

set it on master, then installed a samsung 850 pro

my friend removed my fan and "spliced" the noctua low noise cable and fitted (dead silent ) mpc makes little to 0 noise now.

Noctua NF-A6x25 FLX

having 120gb and having nightmares with aksys, i decided i need to have access to my ssd rather then mounting it internally i wantted to be able to copy paste back stuff up without aksys.

StarTech.com 5.25in Trayless Hot Swap Mobile Rack for 3.5in Hard Drive

took me a while to try adn fit it, one side i use a metal 2.5/3.5 vracket the other side i had to zip tie.

used the same ide/sata connecter

now that was working good,

how to get a 2.5 drive to fit in a 3.5 drive.

used a adapter.

Icybox IB-2535StS

fitted my 850 pro in there

now i can take out my drive and back stuff up to and from the pc.

By Ian Canefire Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:56 pm
Thanks,
I will buy this connector you recommend and the 128g version of the samsung ssd (840) I believe both the 850 and the 840 are sata III drives just different sizes.
So no 40 to 44 pin converter is needed then?
Also the Startech is going to come with the power cable?

Cheers,
Ian
By Ian Canefire Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:47 pm
Hi,
Question: DO I have to partition the new ssd outside of the mpc4000?

I watched a video of a guy adding the ssd and he said you have to format it in FAT32 and he used a progrma that was free online . Which also meant that he had to buy a sata to usb adapter and plug the ssd into his laptop.

Was that step necessary? I just bought a new ssd that is 120g. The store said it will need to be formatted.
DId any of you who added an ssd in place of the ide have to format and partition outside of the MPC4000?

Thanks,
Ian

PS: Trying to save myself from driving to the electronic shop to get the sata to usb adapter tonight.
By Horseclick Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:34 pm
Ian Canefire wrote:Hi,
Question: DO I have to partition the new ssd outside of the mpc4000?

I watched a video of a guy adding the ssd and he said you have to format it in FAT32 and he used a progrma that was free online . Which also meant that he had to buy a sata to usb adapter and plug the ssd into his laptop.

Was that step necessary? I just bought a new ssd that is 120g. The store said it will need to be formatted.
DId any of you who added an ssd in place of the ide have to format and partition outside of the MPC4000?

Thanks,
Ian

PS: Trying to save myself from driving to the electronic shop to get the sata to usb adapter tonight.

no i formatted in the mpc4k, 5k, with no problems
By Ian Canefire Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:56 pm
HI Guys,
This has been one huge fuster cluck.

I have all the correct parts and neither the new pad install nor the ssd drive are working for me.

I purchased a samsung ssd 2.5" 128g sata 6.0gbps.
Connected it with the startek adapter in the MPC4000 went to the load screen and I don't see the format option where it usually is. The MPC is not reading that there is anything connected.
I went to the computer store (micro center) and purchased a kingwin usb to ide/sata adapter. Thinking I need to connect it to my laptop and format the ssd to fat32.
The laptop doesn't see it. I go to the computer icon and I only see a C drive. When I look in the D drive I see the hitachi which is in my laptop and the Samsung. However I can't choose the Samsung.

I Highlighted the samsung and then opened up Ridgecrop consultants fat32 formatter and I see Drive D. Thinking that I had highlighted it I did a format and now I see that I did not format the samsung (as it can't be chosen, but I formated my NTSB inside my laptop.

Now, the pad installation process has been highly frustrating. I never realized I was so clumsy. I followed the MPC stuff video and the pad sensor will not stay in the slot that goes under the pad. The pad is glued on fine, and if I hold the part of the pad that is supposed to go in the slot just right I see that all of the pad spots actually can trigger the mpc.
However once I try to place it properly the strip pops out and I have to try all over again. I am considering gluing the strip into the port. Though I know it will be HELL to remove if I ever have to do this again.

All the videos and write ups made this look so easy but it hasn't been easy at all.

I am going to go to my local technician and see if he can help. Which will cost $80/hour.

Peace
Ian
Last edited by Ian Canefire on Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By TheUnfuckwithable Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:11 pm
Ian Canefire wrote:The MPC is not reading that there is anything connected.

You should have chosen the PATA route like I suggested.

Ian Canefire wrote:However once I try to place it properly the strip pops out and I have to try all over again.

You have to push the strip in with enough force. It´s easier if you demount the pad tray (when the sensor is already glued on the tray) before you attach the sensor strip to the connector.
By Ian Canefire Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:01 pm
Hey Unf%&$withable,
You are so right. lol. Glad i can laugh about it a little bit now though.
I woke up at 2:30am and actually spent 2 hours trying to get the pad installation correct. I have the little plastic that has to be glued on to the mpcstuff sensor. I tried making it thinker by added tape. Then i tried making it slimmer. I tried pusing it in with force. Then i relaxed because i don't want to break the port.
The ssd drama is to be continued. I am at a computer shop now trying to get the ssd i purchased formatted. I will find out whether I bought a brick or whether this can actually work for me. Spending $59 on this process.
Consider yourselves blessed that this worked out easy for you all.
Peace
Ian
By richie Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:47 pm
Did you thoroughly clean the metal plate before putting a new pads on? It could very well be that it's not bonding properly because of that man.