Exchange tips and tricks for the Akai MPC4000
By JS4000 Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:41 am
Hi guys,
Have recently purchased a MPC4K that was exhibiting the power up, all leds on, blank screen symptoms and have gone through all the basic checks on it to try reflash panel OS, prog mode etc but no dice.

The unit was fairly manky so has been given a big clean up and all pots faders and most of the internals cleaned with contact cleaner as required. I have also checked most obvious components and all seem to be ok throughout PSU and I/O board, no broken traces or any popped caps/fuses, have also replaced the cmos battery.

It certainly seems the mobo is either fried or the boot block has been corrupted in some way.

I have searched all over for info on reflashing boot block but it seems its a tightly kept secret.

Anyway I have a Akai Z8 on the way to harvest parts from to get some life into the 4K but there doesnt seem to be any info on the procedure of reflashing a Z8 board for a 4K.

I would like to have the board reflashed while in the Z8 with 4K OS for an easy part swap but another post has suggested there is a OS version check which prevents wrong OS being flashed.

Has anyone any info on this process?
Any help greatly appreciated :smoker:
By richie Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:19 pm
Wait what?? The Z8 uses the same motherboard as the 4k??
By JS4000 Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:40 am
@mr_debauch .... can you link me up to where you suggest I get the right part from? I would have assumed that it was implied that I have already looked around for the "correct" spare part
By JS4000 Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:43 am
@richie have a look at google images for z8 internals and pics of mpc4k mobo, same unit just flashed with different OS. Albeit they do use entirely different i/o boards but same psu/filter, mobo, audio boards and expansion boards