Exchange tips and tricks for the Akai MPC4000
By pspsounds Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:08 pm
The X is solid. Very useful features and the updates are making it even better. It doesn’t sound like the 4000 but nothing ever will. It’s got some features you don’t hear much about yet like Ableton Link and Bluetooth. The 4000 will always be dope but the X is a great replacement.
By Spivkurl Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:16 pm
First post on this forum...

Got my first MPC a week or two ago, a 4k of course. I've been loving it, and have barely touched all the capability. I knew it would be a winner since I've been recording and hoarding samples for almost twenty years now.

I was super tempted to spend way more money on a new MPC X, of course. However, I already have three different MIDI>CV/Gate conversion options in studio, so this changed my thinking. The main thing I needed was the sampling and sequencing facilities, with the array of outputs.

The 4k I grabbed had the 8 analog output board included, brand new uninstalled. Also maxed out ram and fat pads. Finally got around to using the MIDI outputs while recording to a 4 track tape deck a few days ago... I've never had so much fun recording without a computer! The MIDI worked flawlessly controlling my DIY modular synth, MIDIfied Korg monotribe, and zoom rt-123. The pleasure of recording live mushroom fueled psychedelic electronica, with my computer turned off, was just so freeing!

I've become a bit annoyed with touch screens, so probably the X would have annoyed me as well. I'm happy to have grabbed this 4k at a far lower price (650+shipping). Gave me some extra cash to buy some backup omron switches, just in case. Might upgrade to a solid state HD as well, thanks to the info found on this forum.