Exchange tips and tricks for the Akai MPC4000
By muzikalgeeneeyus Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:00 pm
Hi,

When I load multisamples from my Roland CD-ROM, I get terrible aliasing on certain sounds. The sounds that sound really bad are Rhodes pianos and other Electric piano type sounds.

Have any of you had this problem? Is so, what was your remedy? Or if you have any ideas what can be done please let me know them so that I can hopefully fix this problem.

Thanks in advance.

Peace :-D
By wavejockey Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:01 am
i think this is due to the roland format where they split stereo samples into 2 different samples (L/R) and the akai has some problems with re-playing these back correctly

have you tried (stereo) AKAI samples (CD-ROMs)?

the thing you can do is manually adjust / trim the samples or just use the mono versions

are you sure it is aliasing? the AKAI has a naughty/bulky Amplifier structure where on all stages clipping can occur
By muzikalgeeneeyus Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:26 pm
tiger001 wrote:i think this is due to the roland format where they split stereo samples into 2 different samples (L/R) and the akai has some problems with re-playing these back correctly

have you tried (stereo) AKAI samples (CD-ROMs)?

the thing you can do is manually adjust / trim the samples or just use the mono versions

are you sure it is aliasing? the AKAI has a naughty/bulky Amplifier structure where on all stages clipping can occur

Hi Tiger, thanks,

I will try your suggestions, I've managed to get rid of the harshness on most multisamples using the low pass filter. This does take some of the "sparkle" out of some of them though. It definately is aliasing. I think even on the mono versions too.

Thanks again Tiger, I'll let you know if anything worked :-D
By richie Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:54 pm
Have you tried converting the Roland discs with a computer to .akp format and importing them to the 4000? Perhaps the conversion algorithm is different on the 4000?
By muzikalgeeneeyus Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:34 pm
richie wrote:Have you tried converting the Roland discs with a computer to .akp format and importing them to the 4000? Perhaps the conversion algorithm is different on the 4000?

Hi Richie,

I have not tried that, the 4000 auto converts both program and sound files to WAVs and .akp. Maybe trying to convert it from the computer might make the difference, I'll have to try what you suggested.

Thanks again