Exchange tips and tricks for the Akai MPC4000
By BTorres Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:29 pm
Hello all,

I've been researching this for a while and still cant seem to figure out exactly how to sequence an external synth (prophet 08) with my 4000 using multiple presets at a time from the synth.

I've been able to record a sequence with my 08 on the mpc but every time i go to a new track to layer different synth patch over the preexisting one it starts playing the first track loop with the new sound.

I feel like im one step away from a simple solution. im not sure if its a synth setting or mpc problem.

Any ideas?

-I have midi out going into midi in both ways between the two.
-on track one i have out 1 at out A, ch 1, device_1
**changing the value under program change causes my synth to change presets no matter what track i'm on**
By Lampdog Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:10 pm
BTorres wrote:Hello all,

I've been researching this for a while and still cant seem to figure out exactly how to sequence an external synth (prophet 08) with my 4000 using multiple presets at a time from the synth.

I've been able to record a sequence with my 08 on the mpc but every time i go to a new track to layer different synth patch over the preexisting one it starts playing the first track loop with the new sound.

I feel like im one step away from a simple solution. im not sure if its a synth setting or mpc problem.

Any ideas?

**changing the value under program change causes my synth to change presets no matter what track i'm on**

https://www.davesmithinstruments.com/product/prophet-08-keyboard-2/

Is the Prophet '08 multitimbral?

It is bitimbral. That is, it can play two patches simultaneously via MIDI in Multi mode (on two MIDI channels) or from the keyboard in Split or Stack mode. Each Prophet ’08 program consists of two layers and each layer can contain what is essentially a different patch. Both layers can be played simultaneously in stacked or split keyboard mode with each layer routed to its own stereo output. In Multi, Split, or Stack mode, each patch is allocated four of the eight voices.
By BTorres Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:37 pm
Lampdog wrote:
BTorres wrote:Hello all,

Any ideas?

https://www.davesmithinstruments.com/product/prophet-08-keyboard-2/

Is the Prophet '08 multitimbral?

It is bitimbral. That is, it can play two patches simultaneously via MIDI in Multi mode (on two MIDI channels) or from the keyboard in Split or Stack mode. Each Prophet ’08 program consists of two layers and each layer can contain what is essentially a different patch. Both layers can be played simultaneously in stacked or split keyboard mode with each layer routed to its own stereo output. In Multi, Split, or Stack mode, each patch is allocated four of the eight voices.

So a recent development has happened with my problem where over the past day Ive managed to record two different patches on two separate tracks. Im not sure how i did this exactly: i created 3 different programs in the hope of being able to record at least 3 tracks; i turned up the number under multi mode (mpc) to 16; and went about my same process encountering the same problem with track 3 this time.

So are you saying the prophet 08 being bitimbral means this is how many simultaneous midi tracks i will be able to record? wouldnt 8 voices being available mean i would be able to sequence at least 8 tracks?
By Lampdog Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:35 am
I quoted the manual, it says bi-timbral, the kybd’s capability is 2 timbres.