Exchange tips and tricks for the Akai MPC4000
By Yeke Boy Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:29 pm
Greetings, I would like to know how to synchronize these 2 MPC's. I am using the MPC 4000 as the main sequencer, and the MPC 60 as an exclave. When I connect one of the outputs of the MPC 4000 to the input of the 60, and an output of the 60 to the input of the 4000, I have synchronization problems (the midi in and out indicators of the 4000 mark as if both were sending continuously midi information and do not respond correctly). I want to do this to be able to shoot the samples from the 60, and in the sequence of the 4000 these midi notes are recorded, and when I start the sequence playback in the 4000, the 60 will respond to these commands. I could just use the pads of the 4000 to activate those of the 60, but I would like to be able to use the pads of the 60 in this way to take advantage of them. I think it is possible that I have to change something in the configuration of the 2 machines. I'm a little lost and would appreciate all the help possible;).
By Cockdiesel Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:58 am
I don’t own a 60 but to achieve similar results with other controllers and sound modules you’d turn the local off on the 60. Hitting the pads on either machine would trigger the notes on the 60 if the 4000 was set to it’s midi track. You could also give yourself 32 padsto program and trigger other sound sources. Not sure if local off isafeature on a 60, but I’d start there.
By wavejockey Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:27 am
the problem probably is that the 4000 is sending continuously MIDI timing messages - as he/she is doing all the time - EVEN when it is not running!
(this is a very good feature btw to sync all your external synths and sequencers to the beat and keep them 'on guard' so to say)
the 60 will/can transfer those incoming messages back through her/his out port to the 4000 and then you'll get an overflow

be sure to only enable MIDI clock/MTC on the 4000, i think you can even enable it on 1 or more of its out ports
be sure to disable all MIDI clock outs on the 60
be sure to put the 60 in MIDI slave mode
be sure NOT to put the 4000 in MIDI slave

now you have to filter the MIDI timing messages, best from the MIDI out on the 60
if that's not possible, you can also do it (filter) on the MIDI in of the 4000