Exchange tips and tricks for the Akai MPC4000
By Louigianno Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:47 pm
Can an expert please advise me if the mpc 4000 would be capable of fulfilling my needs as a live sampler keyboard brain?

I have all my synths sampled note by note as wav files which I'd store on the 4000.
Can I connect two MIDI keyboards to play these? Even splitting a keyboard to get different sounds for different halves of the keyboards? Each sound routed to different hardware outputs.

Then can I be using the pads on the mpc to trigger yet another bank of samples at the same time?
Also I'd need to be able to swap patches for different songs.
By mr_debauch Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:53 pm
that sounds like something the 4000 would have no problem doing as long as it has the output expansion installed (which they often do)
By Louigianno Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:00 pm
Cool thanks! One more thing, would it be able to register multiple notes of a synth i have sampled and pitch shift them accordingly across an entire keyboard? So, if I had a single note sampled of each octave, could it be configured to pitch them half an octave each direction to preserve quality?
By Lampdog Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:18 am
Yes to all of this.

...Is my best answer.

This is the stuff that the 4k was made to do.
By Coz Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:47 am
Laptops can hold a lot more ram, have bigger screens, are more portable and have access to far better sound libraries than the 4K. They also load programs and sounds 10 times faster than the MPC.

The 4K, MPC X and Live all perform reasonably well as makeshift sound modules, providing you’ve got the sample content, but they’re all limited by the amount of ram.
By Lampdog Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:19 pm
Placing the 4k in a live situation would require some serious forethought and preparation as many functions will stop the sequencer. Also if the 4k user isn’t FULLY versed on 4k menus AND fast in moving around you will kill your whole set.