Exchange tips and tricks for the Akai MPC4000
By Cases Wed May 16, 2018 1:13 am
Hi guys,

Prolly will get a RTFM from you, but I'm not reading it.

Is it possible to assign Tune to qlink? If it is I'll find out but it's not 1 of the 127 or I'm failing again.

I have sampled and looped some insane 808 kicks and I want it to slide now.

PITCH is NOT the answer, it has the range of an ant penis.
By Lampdog Wed May 16, 2018 1:36 am
The "slide your looking for is active and can move WHILE the sample is playing right?
I'm guessing, but, I think I'm right.

Right now you can only notice a change in qlink when you re-trigger right? Hitting the pad again?

The qlink IS actually your answer. BUT you have some hoework, err., homework to do on your sample before it will work how you want it to work.

I said it.

Hoework.

Because you refuse to rtfm, but, your correct in thinking the manual is not the answer to this.
It actually IS though.

Manual shows you how to LOOP.
Manual shows you how to use QLINK.

Those are your answers IF you experiment and combine them you will get exactly what you want. I've done it many times before. Even on 2kxl which isn't even a full fledged sampler like the 4k.

Loop a sinewave 2-3 cycles, zoom in, tune it, find zero cross points, get a smooth loop going, assign that loop to qlink. Every time the sample retriggers from the beginning the qlink will follow the latest movements on the knob/slider. The sample is so little that it "sounds" like it's moving pitch in real time when it's actually re-triggering REALLY FAST. Done.

LOTS of synth keyboardists have used this method when manipulating single cycle waveforms.
By Cases Wed May 16, 2018 1:54 am
Damn Lamp, you helped me out so many times on here man. Even 5 years later your response is so fast, I almost feel your love to the MPC(4000!).

I found out I can set my pitch range to a higher value haha. It was ok 2(!!!!). Now it's on 24 and I can do what I intended to.

But your aproach made me think of the possibities :nod: I **** love this machine. I'm depending on it so much I'm scared to think what happens when it will die.

So many hours and years in this machine and still I learn simply because I never needed it in previous projects or I didnt have the creative abilities in music to see it's functions potentials. (Not because I can't read manuals;))

This thing is so powerful, it blows my mind man.

Thanks again Lamp, you may have no idea how much you help people out when in a project and you can turn off the brain again and be creative making music with just another tool in the endless toolbox! :smoker: :smoker: :smoker: :smoker:
By Lampdog Wed May 16, 2018 5:48 pm
And the hoework thing was just jokes man, I hope you don't think bad of me.

Yeah, the single cycle loop placed on a qlink will move the sample everytime it retriggers and it retriggers so fast that it sounds like realtime. This is how many synth sounds are made, even the long deep 808 bass note. It's just a pure single or double cycle sinewave, looped, placed on a qlink, assigned to pitch/tune. That is ALL it is in it's purest definition. Along with a lpf, slight reverb and your set for that deep bass note you want.

A complete up and down of a wave is a "single cycle". The sinewave in the pic is 2 cycles. Starts at a zero cross point and ends on a zero cross point. When waveforms suddenly increase or decrease and /or don't meat up neatly at a zero cross point is when you get pops or clicks in your sample.

By Cases Thu May 17, 2018 2:51 pm
Yeah.. tell me about the clicks and pops in high resonance deep bass samples.
I got it out of 1 pitch now (layered with 6 or 7 kick layers.) (I put it somewhere between E/Eb)

I now want the track to transpose to A, so that means a new kickdrum (pop&click-free) needs to be made

32bar loop from the project last night:

I'll be afk the coming hours (weeks) lol.
By Cases Thu May 17, 2018 2:54 pm
I also like the kick/snare/hat combo I made previously on a different thingy, build up from like 7/8 samples each:

this one is the same:
https://soundcloud.com/cases-1/drums_new_dbx

those are just playaround projects to learn what the mix will be like
It's like painting with sound, the results are not very special at all but I like the idea of creating your very own "sound"