Exchange tips and tricks for the Akai MPC4000
By Lampdog Wed Jul 12, 2023 12:46 am
dryad-66 wrote:Wise-as we know they will be appreciated more as time goes on…..

I AM keeping it clean, cool, dry, if ever I do decide to sell it.
By robleighton22 Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:23 am
I must admit I don't notice the sound difference between 96k and 48k yet in my MPC 4k. The samples at 48k sound great to my ears and I'm enjoying having 4 FX slots.

It def has a lot of presence and to my ears sounds more full than how I remember the MPC1000 sounded. The newer MPCs sound quite crisp and nice but perhaps less full. But def not a scientific observation.
By asr10user Thu Apr 11, 2024 11:04 pm
Damn. As someone who has owned lots of gear, I REALLY miss my 4000 and missed out on multiple chances to get it again at a cheap price. I keep looking and feel like I can find one again.

I have jumped shipped and use a Live 2 as my main machine... While it is great and has some features that are amazing (manual chop is the best chopping tool i've used). I miss the 'sound' and 'feel' of the 4000. I am looking to get one again, but I honestly dont know how much I will actually use it, but I know it's a special piece of gear that has its place. I remember the 4000 having some killer swing and swing that could be applied in real time (not sure if another MPC can do this).

I feel like functionality and workflow wise, the Modern MPC's are definitely a step up and evolution of the MPC. But the 'sound' does kind of feel lackluster, I know it can be fixed in Post, but out of the box it just sounds so 'neutral'. I probably need more time to dig and master the modern MPC to get to the level I was at with the 4000, but I do miss that 4000 and wish I never sold it.

On that note, whoever here has the 4000, dont sell it, i'm looking back at gear I wish I never sold and am slowly trying to get them back. I got my Asr10 (will NEVER sell this), got an ASR X (extremely slept on), and am looking for a 4000 (feel like i'll find one eventually) and SP12 (will probably never get one again due to price). Even though i'm not yet there with the Live 2, I feel like this may also be a forever piece of gear because of the sheer power/portability it has. I've dreamed about being able to make beats in bed, on the plane, at the park, etc.
By Lampdog Fri Apr 12, 2024 12:08 am
For the sp12, get an s2400! You won’t regret getting one.

I’ll not sell my asr10 either.

Thought about selling my 4k but I keep stopping myself.

Didn’t like my asr x pro, sold it and got 2kxl, never looked back after that. 2kxl was less powerful but so much easier to deal with.
By Blue Haze Sat Apr 13, 2024 6:00 am
Moved to the mpc X and live a few years ago. Lovin it. But I also learned and grew a lot in my production along the way. 4K is powerful in it sound engine and keyboard sampler plus the icing on the cake it the multi which we can load up to 16 programs aka layers like any workstation. However the MPC X as a hybrid goes well with my workflow with software plugins. I still have my 4K in storage and may one day pull out of storage as it was ahead of its time.
By robleighton22 Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:38 pm
Well modern MPCs can have 8 plugins and I am not a huge fan of most of them. Model D sounds pretty good, FM one can sound ok, Jura i didnt love, the Fabric ones sound good bth a decent multi sample program in the 4k prob gives you similar power to Fabric. Obviously there is the convenience of the plugins, and for that they are great.

If i was to get a modern MPC again it would be an X, but ill wait to see where Akai goes next. Happy to hang on and master the MPC workflow with the 4k.

For sound, also recommend the S2400. Actually for sound and workflow the S2400 is fantastic.
By Lampdog Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:29 am
robleighton22 wrote:For sound, also recommend the S2400. Actually for sound and workflow the S2400 is fantastic.

It set out to give you a modern SP and it does it incredibly well!