Exchange tips and tricks for the Akai MPC4000
By T-Jac Thu Apr 24, 2003 9:32 am
sorry guys i'm new and need some help. i sold my 3000 a few months ago. and decided to go logic (computer) as my seq. then i missed the mpc feel so i went back. but the catch is i went back but not to the 3000. that's right i just got my 4000 !!!! so the ? is i have about 2 weeks to play with this thing ( i can still return it) there are things that i like about the 4k and things i miss about the 3k. i'd rather have the 4k because obviously it does more. but i miss the simplicity of the 3k . will i get use to the 4k in time. like where is the drum mixer. i read it's coming in os 1.50 but i need to make my mind up before then. it takes too many steps to do simple things in the 4k like turning the count in off and on. also the step/bar buttons dont work during playback. which is a big part of my recording programming. also how do you copy one track from one sequence to another sequence. (track 21, seq 1 to track 21 seq 2) this has to be an easy one but i'm lost. like i said , sorry guys im new. thanks for your help!!!!!

By damixx Thu Apr 24, 2003 12:40 pm
Hang in there man; the 3000 is a toy compared to this machine. I'm not dissin anyone with a 3000 but the 4000 is miles ahead and an incredible machine.

Press the sequence edit button on the 4000>then hit f3 copy>then hit F3 again for copy to and that's it. You select the track and the bar;beat that you want copied.

Peace
By TREV Thu Apr 24, 2003 2:05 pm
YEAH, JUST KEEP MESSING WITH IT. I GOT THE 4000 IN JAN AND USED TO OWN A STRAIGHT 2000.... YOUR RIGHT, THINGS ARE A LITTLE MORE COMLEX JUST TO MOVE AROUND THROUGH OUT THE MACHINE..... THAT IS BECAUSE THERE ARE MORE OPTIONS TO EACH FUNCTION...

BUT, JUST LIKE THE OTHER MPC'S YOU WILL START TO DELET AND COPY TRACKS AND STUFF WITH OUT EVEN REALY LOOKIN AT THE SCREEN... YA KNOW JUST PICKING UP SPEED AND STUFF.....

I AM VERY NEW AS WELL AND STILL HAVE A GRIP TO LEARN.... BUT, HAVE KIND OF BROKE THE ICE A LITTLE AND AM HAVING ALOT OF FUN WITH THE 4K NOW.... KEEP PLUGGIN AWAY HOMIE.....PEACE
By TREV Thu Apr 24, 2003 2:09 pm
YEAH, JUST KEEP MESSING WITH IT. I GOT THE 4000 IN JAN AND USED TO OWN A STRAIGHT 2000.... YOUR RIGHT, THINGS ARE A LITTLE MORE COMLEX JUST TO MOVE AROUND THROUGH OUT THE MACHINE..... THAT IS BECAUSE THERE ARE MORE OPTIONS TO EACH FUNCTION...

BUT, JUST LIKE THE OTHER MPC'S YOU WILL START TO DELET AND COPY TRACKS AND STUFF WITH OUT EVEN REALY LOOKIN AT THE SCREEN... YA KNOW JUST PICKING UP SPEED AND STUFF.....

I AM VERY NEW AS WELL AND STILL HAVE A GRIP TO LEARN.... BUT, HAVE KIND OF BROKE THE ICE A LITTLE AND AM HAVING ALOT OF FUN WITH THE 4K NOW.... KEEP PLUGGIN AWAY HOMIE.....PEACE
By T-Jac Thu Apr 24, 2003 4:07 pm
by the way how do you turn down the midi channel level in the 4k. i know in the 3k there was a level setting near the pgm setting. but this is not in the 4k. (at least i don't see it) do i have to do this at the actual midi device. and also i hate logging my bank/patch settings. and i know you can change the midi pathces in the 4k. but how do i get the 4k to change the bank of my device. I have a motif and all i'm tring to do is make the 4k remember the patch and BANK . i also have a XV 3080 so how can i make the 4k control my xv 3080 and make it switch banks to my expansion cards. is this possible. is there a setting that my midi devices must be at (recieve bank changes) i think it's on. but it doesn't do anything.

Any help is well appreciated over here.

is the 0S 1.50 coming any time soon !!!

By aprim Wed May 28, 2003 4:31 pm
Ok

To change the Banks and Patch selections works like this
Open the windows on patch selection,

Turn on Bank select
Set The MSB
Set the LSB

How do you know what the midi module MSB or LSB is?
Check your manual of the bank you want to control
The EMU mods are like this
Bank Selet ON
MSB 0
LSB 1 THROUGH 4 (change in between all 4 banks ABC@D...)
Exit out of the window and scroll through the sounds.
All EMU mod work the same

My Virus C works the same as The EMU
Banks Select ON
MSB 0
LSB 1 THROUGH 4 (ABCD)

My Roland works like This
Bank Select ON
MSB 80 through 85
LSB 1 through 5

I change expansions through the MSB
And Banks through the LSB

If your unit comes up with not installed its because your trying to
access a slot that has no expansion mod in it.
Like if you have a protuess and your trying to control but you pick
a expansion slot thats has no rom.

When you save your seq, it will call up all the right patchs next
time you load it. Works perfect and it really makes a diffrence.
Check out the manual of the unit you want to control it will give you
the correct MSB and LSB to work with.

Good luck and it works perfect.
Anthony