Exchange tips and tricks for the Akai MPC4000

By ikke Thu Mar 24, 2005 5:48 pm
:lol: I was just joking man,... jeeezz :roll:

By ikke Thu Mar 24, 2005 5:50 pm
alto,
oh I pissed u off?? what kind of person are you ?? dont you see that i was just kidding?? walk, mad bad ass!! :evil:
no after reading your entire post of crap; i just wanna slap you :evil: Are YOU for real??

By elmacaco Fri Mar 25, 2005 5:04 am
Yo, I was kiddig with ikke too, he meant no harm and I didn't take it that way, it wasn't hard, he was just playin, so was I.

real time timestretch should be included, that is one of akai's weaknesses, they stick with what they have had for years mostly, even the new MPC, very few innovations.

No, it's not a bug in the 60, there are very few bugs in the 60 with the 3.10 OS, in fact, I think I only ever found 1, and it's a small one that rarely comes up.

Roger linn doesn't do new updates anymore, and I rarely use the shift timing for all tracks anymore. So no biggie. Nice tip on using the copy sequence to do it, I did that once before, but I switched to using shift timing most of the time, which is very little anyway.

So yeah, there are two shift timing screens in the 60, one in the timing correct screen, with the tie to the TC value, and one in the edit menu which lets you shift 1-999 earlier or later.

The manual part is on page 79, of the 3.10 manual (get it from Roger Linn design.com) but it doesn't say the tick amounts allowed. maybe the 3000 manual says how many ticks are allowed, but I assure you it is 999, the news to me was the shift timing field in the TC screen being limited by the TC value, which I think is a great convinience when you have both, but if I had to choose one, it would be the unlimited. Glad I don't have to.

So yeah, two separate screens, easily found, definitly intended to be that way, that's the beautiful thing about the 60, it's really elegant in implementation.

The Ikke thing is just a misunderstanding, lets chill.

By Altopiano Sat Mar 26, 2005 5:25 am
yo

elmacaco wrote:Yo, I was kiddig with ikke too, he meant no harm and I didn't take it that way, it wasn't hard, he was just playin, so was I.

ooh! ... so it seems that my english is only up for three edged humour ...

anyways to me the matter was over already. i didnt intent to come back but you made another good comment so i ll comment and ad how i see things. however - it might get long so feel free to read it! ... unfortunately my english doesnt allow me to express myself shorter ...

and ... you all feel free to see things differently

real time timestretch should be included, that is one of akai's weaknesses, they stick with what they have had for years mostly, even the new MPC, very few innovations.

realtimestretchin is not the biggest one on my wishlist and i think its not the easiest one to implement either. sure if its there it were great. however my sequencer per dafault is runnin at 133 bpms. sometimes a few up or down - but usually i know the tempo i wanna make my beaz in advance and there are other and better ways to push a beat. and in case i want it to be faster or slower i got enough multis, programs, samples and loops to match those other tempos. but yeah - i m sure i would find lotsa reasons where to use and misuse it but to me there were better ones - ... for example: i would find it much more useful if i could set individual track lengths or an improved song mode where i could layer sequences with different lengths ... but overally to me the 4k is dope as it has been designed. i loved it already as it came with 1.20 or 1.33 - cant remember ...

as for the innovations: again - feel free to see it differently. generally i think its best if a company improves on their strengths. i m learning instruments and am collecting gear for almost 20 years and i prefer those music companies who continue doin what they do best ... at the time i decided to buy an mpc i compared them and the 4k was the one to go for me. the 4k has 4 midi outs in which i can stick anything i got and a phantastic rec in to sample everythin. 960 ppq, 512 rams and a harddisc build in were the other main things that got me to buy it. from its basic conception thats all i ever want and need.

No, it's not a bug in the 60, there are very few bugs in the 60 with the 3.10 OS, in fact, I think I only ever found 1, and it's a small one that rarely comes up.

thanx - i m glad the 60 doesn't have bugs. hope we get there once too.

Roger linn doesn't do new updates anymore,

i know. sorry - maybe i should have put a :lol: ... anyways other cats have more fun using them.

and I rarely use the shift timing for all tracks anymore. So no biggie.

didnt know you have it in your 60 at all. actually from your past posts i thought you dont have it (again my english - italian - english translation unfortunately not always worx as it should). however its a nice feature for me - with a bit of work and workarounds that feature allows me to program smooth crossfades from one seq/song to another quickly and thats great ... to me no qbase, pro tools or whateva could do such things anyways. this is one of the features easing that process for me on the 4k. yo - but i hear ya - i dont like it too to swing or shift them all for the entire thing - but its great for what it can be (mis)used.

Nice tip on using the copy sequence to do it, I did that once before, but I switched to using shift timing most of the time, which is very little anyway.

np ur welcome. you made lotsa good points in this thread as allover the forums over quite some time. thanx for them. thats what this place is all about: give and take. thisone was an easyone - just noone thought about it. hope bleep can uninstall his logic again. there are lotsa ways in the 4k to do one thing and the same - i m sure same goes for the 60. maybe in your case this doesnt make much sense - on my 4k it does.

So yeah, there are two shift timing screens in the 60, one in the timing correct screen, with the tie to the TC value, and one in the edit menu which lets you shift 1-999 earlier or later.

The manual part is on page 79, of the 3.10 manual (get it from Roger Linn design.com) but it doesn't say the tick amounts allowed. maybe the 3000 manual says how many ticks are allowed, but I assure you it is 999, the news to me was the shift timing field in the TC screen being limited by the TC value, which I think is a great convinience when you have both, but if I had to choose one, it would be the unlimited. Glad I don't have to.

thanx alot for the detailed information. much appreciated. i have all the necessary info now ...

The Ikke thing is just a misunderstanding,

dunno - maybe! ... as i understood the comment he was showing you the way out whilst we were in the middle of a conversation. ... anyways - i dont give a fukk and i d rewrite everything as it is apart one thing: i been writin bout nob threads - as i learned meanwhile nob is not what i ment! - sorry if i offended anyone but my english-italian translations most definately dont work properly. i thought nob is the short word for newbies ... so basically i wanted to say we got lotsa nonsense, RTFM and newbie threads goin on here ... anyways - there is nothin wrong with newbies and ikke aint a newbie after all. we all have been once. and imo newbies are a great thing. first off they bring new ideas - best example in the 4k community: individual track lengths feature proposal! ... and they are starting to talk - asking questions and othes come in and contribute constructively ... usually! thats how we all learn from eachother. in the past weeks and months some new people came in givin real good contributions themselves. some even knew more about the 4k before they got it as some experienced users and they even have been helpful in solvin problems when they didnt have their 4k yet.

for the other linguistical misunderstanging bout more or less funny things! maybe my post stands on the wrong place now and i know i could copy it to somewhere else but i dont wanna roll up old bullshit threads. ikke is good in that! so ikke do as with blue haze a few weeks ago ... that was real dirty and nasty to my liking! just do as than and go to the search function and role up altopiano threads! again: i dont give a fukk! ... anyways i started my comment on the wrong place so i ll just go on ...

again: imo this is a place where we should talk about 4k and music. somehow i dont get it. imo a 4k runnin os 1.70 is the most powerful mpc outthere but the amount of interesting threads in the 4k forums is less than in most other forums on the site. over the past year the best feature on this page for me was the search function - and mostly i ended up in the 60/3k or 2xl forum. dunno - imo the clima there is much better and threads much more constructive and informative ... imo this is related to the amount of knowledgeable and settled users which imo is much higher their. 60, 3k and 2xl users know what they have and appreciate what they have and the place keeps more peaceful and constructive. actually it should be the same here - people should be real happy to possess a 4k! ... as ever - on the 4k forum many users come in expecting a monster and dont even know what it means to posses a monster. i m not sayin all - not even many - but some are really unthankful cats and thats somethin that pisses me off and i tell ya ll why.

the unthankful 4k user is a cat comin in here askin questions for things which he has problems with as every other user. most times those questions have been answered years ago. either a feature is not integrated in the 4k or it is a bug or it is a RTFM one or an unusual thing. almost everyone runs into such problems when he starts out. however - those problems are most times known amongst older users and they provide quality information, post workarounds to solve his problems and they jump in givin hints how to go about his problem. however mr. unthankful usually answers: i bought a fukkin expensive machine and it can't even do this. no thank you - no nada! now WTF! whaz the point in helping such a user. i really wouldnt give a fukk about it if i wouldnt know that some real old, knowledgeable and helpful 4k users that have been in here for years left the place becoz of them. i mean they havent left they just dont post anymore. people help once, twice, three times but at a certain point its over ... ya cant be bothered to help mr. unthankful anymore - and thats not good for all 4k users - esp. for all the newbies! the many thankful ones and some unthankful ones! OVER!

lets chill.

yo - np ... sequencer is runnin at 133 as always. thanx elmacaco and the others for the nice thread - besides the bullshit i liked it ... hope we get more constructive ones in future!

By elmacaco Sat Mar 26, 2005 6:13 am
Yeah, one clarification, the 60 doesnt have all tracks shift timing, it's just one at a time, I meant shifting all one by one, rarely do it.