Exchange tips and tricks for the Akai MPC4000
By oceanstatekillah Tue May 20, 2003 5:15 pm
we have the 4000 with the adat and i here a digital distortion click. i turned the sound down in global , and it helped i believe. and adat 1 and 2 are getting no signal and 3 through8 work good. we just bought the 001 2 days ago so it shouldnt be that any one know about the 4000 adat multitrack give me some advice

By damixx Tue May 20, 2003 6:20 pm
You have to make sure the digi 001 is set as the master wordclock. It should be set to internal (usually there is a choice internal external)
I don't own a digi 001 but have the adat card for the 4000; one on the yamaha 01v and pci card from wavecenter (adat litepipe also) all work flawlessly. I set the wavecenter card as the master clock (via the wavecenter pci control panel) you should have some sort of control panel on the digi 001 that would allow for this.
It seems like you have this working though if 3 - 8 are working.
if 3-8 work there is no reason at all that 1 - 2 wouldn't work. I didn't have to turn my global settings down.

By damixx Sun May 25, 2003 3:25 am
sorry to hear that man. i know I had to mess with a setting (cant remember the screen) to route main outs to adat card on the mpc 4000. Everything worked fine from there. I'm going to retrace and hit u back with the exact instrucs; hang in there dawg!

Peace

By damixx Sun May 25, 2003 7:47 pm
Try this; hit the global button and where it says digital out sync: I have it set to internal; type: professional
adat (8 assignable ) out 1/2:L/R
It was when I switched that last one (to L/R)where it worked properly; I hope that will solve it for you.

By oceanstatekillah Sun May 25, 2003 8:47 pm
word that worked , u just assign l and r to 1 and 2 , do u use stereo , i turned the master level to -12 dB should i be doing that or record at -6 just below where it records in the red zone on pro tools. and yo whats the best way to save to disc so when i load up everything loads i dont have to remember which part was what program , sometimes i have to go through and reassign my parts to get the sequence to play .
good looking that adat tip helped a lot peace osk www.indyground.com check out the mpc 2003 battle

By damixx Mon May 26, 2003 4:48 am
YES!!!!! Glad it worked. Damn; I don't have the digi 001.
I have the mpc master level at 0 db'. I monitor things through the headphones to get levels balanced to a crisp; My Event 20/20's put out too much power. So I create at moderate levels. Use the headphones to push the faders to maximum level before clipping/distorting. (again; the 20/20 bas are monstrous and I don't want to get kicked out of my apt) Your input meters on the digi 001 should be a good guide. Set your main mixers faders to no volume and work your levels for the mpc from there.
In my case with the 01v. I make sure my meters match Sound Forge or Cugase when recording. The 01v is definitley the one I use to balance my faders in software. I push the meters right befroe they clip (red) then I'll adjust the channel faders in cubase or sound forge etc... to match the frequencies that are hitting the 01V. The mpc has a very strong output (like the roland tr-909) alot of people complained about the 909 outputs being too loud but there is no mistake when you hear the thunderous sound of a 909 kick coming out of a tr-909 and yah; I experienced the same feeling when I loaded my tr909 kitt into the mpc 4000; it is absolutely tremendous.
I chose never to lower the db's on my equipment; I keep them at 0db. That's the natural raw sound. It doesn't matter if you push your faders a quarter to half way up and almost clip. You are getting the raw sound and that is what is important. Your main mixer is the key in getting your levels right; softare is second. If your mixer is a software mixer then cool; that'll be your guide.
Keep in mind the 4000 has a compressor effect; I don't need to use it because the 24 bit 96khz sound is nice loud and crisp. It's dr dre-ish.

On the assigning parts when u load up. whatever programs u used for your song should be saved as a multi after the parts are assigned. U should be saving all sequences and songs too (just take the time to name them instead of loading an all seq song; u may forget which is which)

Peace (again glad it worked for you)

By oceanstatekillah Mon May 26, 2003 4:03 pm
yeah i guess i will have to work on all my levels indivdualy. shouldnt be a problem and , saving i think i have it down. i will be posting in the future more questions and answers . good looking the mix , it was a big help