Exchange tips and tricks for the Akai MPC4000
By Ian Canefire Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:26 pm
I built website and an app and was doing a lot of coding and had to hire a team from India to help me.
I was dabbling with the MPC at the time also.
When I started to ask the India engineers on the side little things about stuff in the mpc does they were down to dive into the MPC.

What I remember was that the cost will likely be between $10,000 - $15,000 and you will have to provide them with two functioning MPC4000s.
I was working with a company called Cyber Infrastructure "CIS".
A 40 hour work week of coding only cost $400 and that was 2-3 people.

In my estimation it would not be worth it because I am so happy with all the mpc 4000 can do.

Making another OS from scratch would take a lot of planning, and you are likely to miss out on important things simply because you do not have the breathe of knowledge of what all users need that a company in the field would have down to an exact script. So that planning time is money. You would need a few people like Tutor and some other experts to be advisors. So you would need to start with a functional requirements document. This describes every single button press and screen and routing and action. It took me 6 months to make mine.

Now if you use existing code and try to fit it into the MPC4000 you will have to spend the time to work out kinks. Think of it as putting Reaper for example in a sampler. Like having a race horse's soul inside a mule. In time you will get it right but you will have bugs .

If you want them to reverse engineer then you are at their mercy unless you have someone adept enough to check their progress daily. Which would be a lot of work. Of course it will get done in 3-4 months or so.

This could be a good cause on a crowdfunding site if you get the interest. What are you trying to add? What is the value of that addition to you?

Peace
Ian
By Chillin Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:17 am
smokeme442200 wrote:Does anyone know if it is just possible to add code to the existing os?? That way I wouldn't have to worry about screwing up the original os, also I would be able to possible bybass the security check they did something very similar with the Korg Kronos hack look it up!

You could and values like increase and devalues of existing code.
But writing new code would corrupt the system, if it doesn't match with existing booleans.
By obsolete Tue May 30, 2017 2:32 pm
It would be very challenging without the original development environment. This is why it was possible for the MPC1000. It was somebody on the team and they still had access to the source code and toolchain.

Understanding how to program the ARM chip is only the first step, you'd also need to understand how to work with the multiple support chips that provide all the additional functionality beside the operating system such as sampling and the LCD

It's entirely feasible but almost certainly not worth the effort