-change the sound of held notes
-move loop points of a drum loop around
-Filter type change
-Every Envelope and LFO parameter
-Modulate modulations
-Change parameters for ALL keygroups in a program at once
-FX type, routing, and all parameters
-Use hidden parameters
-Dynamically change almost any other keygroup, program, or multi parameter that does not have built in modulation.
By Clint Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:46 am
I couldn't see foge's video in this thread so...

Below is a closer look at his excellent Logic/ SYSEX/touchscreen creation.

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jun09/a ... p_0609.htm

foge (Geoff Smith) has been a regular editorial contributor to Sound on Sound magazine over the years. Maybe someone should ask him if there have been any developments on this...
By feline1 Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:24 pm
I guess these days we should all be able to do this sort of gubbins using a Windows Surface or Apple iPad etc?
By Clint Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:40 am
feline1 wrote:I guess these days we should all be able to do this sort of gubbins using a Windows Surface or Apple iPad etc?

Suppose so, kinda reminds me of my Triton touchscreen. Possibly done with sysex, just all neatly built in.
By feline1 Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:42 pm
What you need to do this is:

- a touch screen
- an app that lets you build a GUI of knobs and sliders and buttons, and assign SysEx to them
- a way to get the MIDI out of the device and into the MPC4000.

Previous to these modern days in which we live, it was hard to get all 3 of these in one bundle -

e.g. Jeff was using Logic to provide a SysEx GUI... but Logic only runs on his desktop machine, and desktop machines didn't come with touchscreens back then, so he had to get an extra touch screen and connect that.

conversely, iPad do have built in touch-screens and come with apps like TouchOSC that let you build a GUI and send SysEx - but they don't have MIDI ports, so to get the MIDI out to your MPC you have to faff around with various custom interface boxes and dongles.

The new Windows Surface, with its touchscreen, ordinary Win8 operating systems, and ordinary USB port, pretty much provides all you need (apart from a USB > DIN plug MIDI lead, which I believe you can buy...) to make thing like Geoff did that's totally portable.
By elektrik_muz Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:21 pm
"Show me someone who believes in Microsoft and I will show you a fool!"

... That's why I'm going to be looking into more generic-y touchscreen tablet thingys that can run linux to do this stuff. Main limitation is what kind of ports the thing has or what kind of ports it can be adapted to.

For software I'm seeing two current options for linux this --

http://ctrlr.org/

(pretty graphics, works standalone or as a DAW plugin (but make sure the DAW implements sysex)

... and the new Guru Renoise plugin --

http://www.renoise.com/tools/guru

(not as flashy or complex but works direclty with Renoise and it's fairly straightforward to set up).
By Clint Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:29 pm
Well I'm no programmer, I can work with MIDI CC's, LSB's and MSB's but Sysex strings put me to sleep FAST. Nothing on earth kills the creative juices like a Sysex string or two.
By Ian Canefire Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:35 pm
I am with you Clint...I did the research all weekend and I was not enjoying it. If you have a Yamaha Qy700 you can do a lot of sysex stuff. However I am happy and productive enough using what is tactile in front of me. Thanks for the SYSEX info.

Cheers,
Ian
When next I am in London I gotta meet up with you Clint.
By Clint Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:08 pm
Ian Canefire wrote:When next I am in London I gotta meet up with you Clint.

Sure thing, just hit me up.
By feline1 Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:57 pm
elektrik_muz wrote:"Show me someone who believes in Microsoft and I will show you a fool!"

You can wade in linux up to your armpits for all I care, just so long as there in an end to it! :lol:
By elektrik_muz Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:04 am
feline1 wrote:
elektrik_muz wrote:"Show me someone who believes in Microsoft and I will show you a fool!"

You can wade in linux up to your armpits for all I care, just so long as there in an end to it! :lol:

Good one.

Thou it's a demo for paid registration and not open source, Renoise runs on pretty much every distro I've tried (except the ones with botched or broken midi implementation) and Guru worked fine when I tested it. Only issue there is the currently rather sparse set of preset instrument definitions available. However, if you can do the work to figure out what variables you need they are easly entered in a fairly straightfoward text file format.

Getting Ctrlr installed and up and running in linux is a bit more complicated then Renoise so I haven't gotten around to that yet. Too bad as they've probably got more preset panels avalable including a coulple I need to put to use right now. Otherwise the only advantage at the moment is that it's free with fancier graphics, at least as far as I can tell.

I suppose another more heavy-duty solution might be something like PureData. Still just playing with that one now and then, but I can get it to run and it comes preinstalled on some of the multimedia distros I've got lying around.

Of course I think all that stuff is cross-platform anyway, so if you really want to run it in evil FederationSoft you can just go right ahead. Don't know how much better or worse the midi performance is going to be but it all depends on what you need it for.
By feline1 Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:31 am
last time I tired pure data, it was utter blue-screening crapware.
Admittedly this was in 1998 on a Silicon Graphics IRIX platform.
But I'll never get those 3 wasted afternoons back, will I...
By Mickey freeland Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:03 pm
Is there any way either Foge or MC Smoove could actually post a list of the Hex chains for each function they created? I think the lack of basic understanding of sysex is whats scaring a lot of people off from sinking their teeth into this project and having the actual commands laid out would be a big help. I understand if it's too much trouble, however. Thanks for all the info! :-D