Talk about the music biz - marketing, promotions, contract law, copyright etc...
By SILIS101 Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:02 pm
TuneCore, CDBaby...

On previous releases I've sold CD's and vinyl on consignment at record shops. Sold them at show's and word of mouth. I haven't stepped into the digital distribution sales realm other than posting up on Bandcamp.
To have your shit available in all the online stores seems to be a good thing to try BUT if no one's every heard your shit before, would it make sense to pay the TuneCore/CDBaby sign-up money and hope for gold? Know-what-I-mean?

I'm currently in my album post-production/Mastering phase and have been looking at a digital distribution plan.

Have any of you used any of these services?
By damien907 Tue Dec 24, 2013 7:27 am
i think cd baby has really good rates, like you have to sell stuff to get chared, and its not very much at all. i havent tried it first hand though, so i dont really know for sure.
id def look into it more though if i were you.
By ZeroArmada Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:15 pm
I've personally used Tunecore. They regularly run specials on their "album deals" and you put your album on A TON of platforms (itunes, amazon mp3, pandora, etc.). You then get paid from your sales and the plays you get on each online radio station. Granted, my plays never got me much, over the course of one year I got maybe $20, but anything is better than nothing, right?
By SILIS101 Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:24 pm
Wow I posted this question a long time ago.
Well, I went with Tunecore. They did good and I renewed for another year with that particular album. I wish I would have went with CDbaby, in hindsight, because they didn't charge yearly.

You get paid for plays and whatnot. It's cool. I think it was worth it and recommend it.
I also went with the Amazon On-Demand CD Duplication Service they offer.

If you're self releasing music, it's worth a try to sign on with one of these services until you can get full time distributor.
To get on a distribution deal, just send them a one page and your music. If they accept your sh.t, you work with them on Digital and Physical releases. You need startup money to do this, you press your own vinyl, get your own CD's made and send it to them to distribute.

I have one ready for my next release. It takes a lot of upfront money to do at first.