Talk about the music biz - marketing, promotions, contract law, copyright etc...
By Morris Cody Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:16 pm
I get this more often then I used to. Mainly for me it is trying to flip a sample in a way that is unique. I don't feel good anymore just flipping one record and calling it good. I sometimes find myself feeling a bit down when I can't accomplish a good beat but hey gotta keep on the grind!
By Retro Styles Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:21 pm
Some time I feel the same. But now, over the past month I don't want to be in the process of hear a song and imagine which parts would be good chops.
Am I just getting over beatmaking?
Who knows
Write about your general feelings when your making music/beats etc.
By SEMS Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:49 am
Think it happens to everyone at some point. Sometimes you just gotta switch off for a few months, do something else, play another instrument, don't do anything musical at all etc...

Then one day ideas start flying in your head again and you're back in business! :)
By medearis Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:30 pm
Do you ever turn on your gear specifically to tinker in sound design/concept while specifically NOT to make anything? Not only are these instruments your tools of expression but they are also toys of escapism!

I stress that if you turn your machines on every time to strictly "make a beat" or something, then yeah, you will definitely hit a wall. Turning them on and aimlessly fiddling with the knobs/other options will lead you to some great & funky sound design while allowing you to blow the stress of the day.

"But now, over the past month I don't want to be in the process of hear a song and imagine which parts would be good chops." - this sort of mentality is sort of a double-edged-Hatori Hanzo-katana. You are now listening for chunks you can source for your own music instead of everything else one normally does while listening to music (dancing, groovin', bobbin', singin', not looking for samples).

I believe this to be a massive black hole for sampling folks. You initially start out listening to music - being inspired to make more (a perfectly innocent foundation). Now you get a sampler and now you are listening to find stuff to do YOU with and... years slip by and that is now your default "music listening" mentality. That is deadly to the passion.

Do you have any means of sourcing sounds that are NOT from sampled records?

If you have software synths or a cheesy guitar laying around... get to work playing them, sample yourself (even if you absolutely blow donkey nuts!), get to chopping/sculpting, creating.

BE YOUR OWN SOURCE IF YOU CAN. I think once you start listening to music mostly as a means to your own end then you gotta come back to the basics.

I feel like 99.9% of the usual suspects here know this already though but I decided to share either way.
By Clint Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:46 am
medearis wrote:Turning them on and aimlessly fiddling with the knobs/other options will lead you to some great & funky sound design while allowing you to blow the stress of the day.

This.

Far too much emphasis on making 'bangers' in 5 minutes lol.
By Retro Styles Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:56 pm
Clint wrote:
medearis wrote:Turning them on and aimlessly fiddling with the knobs/other options will lead you to some great & funky sound design while allowing you to blow the stress of the day.

This.

Far too much emphasis on making 'bangers' in 5 minutes lol.

:-D :-D