Post your views and questions about the Akai MPC2500
By Glizz Sat Dec 13, 2014 12:42 am
Hi. I'm looking to find out if I can use 1/4 jack line wires to record off YouTube through my sound card instead of using rca wires. I would rather use lines if possible as I already have some and want to keep it as analogue as possible. Any help or ideas please? Thanks
By bonkersville Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:27 am
put that in the address and it will play it in the highest quality .
otherwise it will sound like you sampled youtube.
&fmt=18

gotta get the wires with rca on one side and 1/4 inch on the other side . assuming thats your soundcard rca . should be ok man, I used to dirty up youtube videos onto tape, then sample them but now am going for cleanest signal on everything. but if the quality is bad on youtube sometimes it helps to bitcrush it a bit with something else, fight fire with fire.
sometimes, you can mic a speaker to clean up audio too. should be easy. I collect samples in BOSS SP. then I can customise the sound before I sample to the mpc . usually a bass cut here and there.
By Star One Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:51 pm
You don't have to use RCA anything if you don't want to.

Not too sure what you mean about using lines to keep it analogue though.

(It's a sound card, not an audio interface right?) You can get a balanced 1/8" to 1/4" cable, or a 1/4" cable with an 1/8" adapter.

With cables, no matter the ends, it carries sound :nod: so you could have 50 different connectors and joiners across 10 types of cables, and sound would get from point A to point B (Obviously wouldn't want to do that, just as an example).

I've never sampled off Youtube, so I can't really help anything there, but seems like Bonkersville has that covered.
By mr_debauch Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:57 pm
Yeah you should sample the midi though so you don't get any of that awful digital sound since it is youtube we're talking about. I use midi headphones to monitor the sound to make sure it sounds proper...
By JVC Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:10 pm
Hi. I'm looking to find out if I can use 1/4 jack line wires to record off YouTube through my sound card instead of using rca wires. I would rather use lines if possible as I already have some and want to keep it as analogue as possible. Any help or ideas please? Thanks

I don't think using 1/4 jack or RCA cable would make difference in sound quality...

... want to keep it as analogue as possible ...

Umm... Buzz word! I think I know what you are trying to say, but again, you are sampling from YouTube, not from vinyl or live instrument...
Some people record CD to cassette, then sample from the cassette. Maybe that's what you might want to do.
By sjeff Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:02 pm
mr_debauch wrote:Yeah you should sample the midi though so you don't get any of that awful digital sound since it is youtube we're talking about. I use midi headphones to monitor the sound to make sure it sounds proper...

:lol:
By Glizz Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:36 am
Thanks for your input guys. And yes it is a sound card mate. What I'm looking for is how to actually get the sound from YouTube through my sound card into my MPC with my 1/4 line wires through the analogue/ left and right record ins. Does that make sense? When I tried to hook it all up there was no signal. I must have done it wrong . Thanks guys
Last edited by Glizz on Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Glizz Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:42 am
Sorry for all the extra posts should have done it in one. The only reason I want to sample YouTube is because I'm short on vinyl and there is so much on there. Before I was YouTube converting the whole song then cutting the bits I want in reason then putting it into the MPC. It's just hassle. Takes up to much ram as its stereo aswell, I think that's the reason.
By Star One Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:03 pm
What have you tried so far?

Just a 1/4" cable out of both line outs, into your MPC record in. Press sample, adjust the gains. Set the source to left or right to get your mono.

Like I had said, anything you can plug in, can sample that way.

Have you done this already and it didnt work?
By Glizz Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:28 am
So far, I have set my PC main audio to my external soundcard, attached the outs on that to my MPC audio record ins left and right. When I tried it I got no signal. I haven't tried it since as I was waiting for help on here. Does this make sense? Thanks p.s i think there may be a problem setting my PC to assign audio control to the external soundcard
By Star One Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:58 am
Glizz wrote:So far, I have set my PC main audio to my external soundcard, attached the outs on that to my MPC audio record ins left and right. When I tried it I got no signal. I haven't tried it since as I was waiting for help on here. Does this make sense? Thanks p.s i think there may be a problem setting my PC to assign audio control to the external soundcard

You should be trying different things while your waiting!!!!! :nod:

So if your MPC samples in fine using vinyl, you can rule out there being something wrong with your MPC. I've never used any of this stuff, so I can't say for sure. I did google your interface to see what kind of outputs it has. Can you plug the outputs of the interface into speakers? To get sound? That will help you find out of it's a setting in the PC not sending audio out of the sound card.
By Glizz Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:17 pm
Thanks. I'm going to rule that out first and yes I have monitor speakers so I can connect both types of wire to it. Thanks a lot guys for all your help I'm guna work this out I think I should be able to now with all your help. Thanks guys