Post your views and questions about the Akai MPC2500
By _wheeljack_ Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:17 am
hey all,

first time post, but have trolled the site for years ... so much good info here.

on to the business.

having an issue with my 2500 sending midi to my synths in arpeggiator mode. have 2 synths (korg ms2000 & microkorgxl+). same issue w/ both.

when triggering arpeg, first note will lag, and the sequence is delayed. sometimes it'll catch up after running through the sequence a few times, or if i try restarting the sequence a few times over. when i first play it out/record the notes, synth will play the sequence w/out issue. as soon as i go to play it back, same delayed issue.

if i play a sequence and record individual midi notes, no issues there with playback signal latency or lag. everything is where it should be.

settings are as they should be:
mpc: master, tc, with mmc on
synth: external midi control (or auto) - either are fine in non arpeg mode

anyone else had this issue? it isn't ruining my life, but is limiting in terms of using the mpc to trigger in live settings.
By bliprock Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:23 am
Yeah I have no issues with my Microkorg and thats pretty much a ms2000. I woud turn off MMC. Just use ms2000 in slave mode. With the Microkorg you can not record the midi output of the ARP unless you change this setting.
Should work just with midi clock and not need MMC or MTC
By _wheeljack_ Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:55 pm
thanks blip!

question: you mention recording the arp from the microkorg. with either synth midi running in to the mpc, can i record the arp pattern as it's own midi sequence? (at work now and will try later, but thought i'd ask in case you've done this).

if i can just automate the actual arp sequence as individual midi notes, this will completely bypass the need to trigger arp patterns at all.

cheers!
By _wheeljack_ Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:44 pm
Doc00Cosel wrote:My MPC wont trigger the arpeggios on my Roland Fantom. Don't know if it's the MPC, or if the fantom doesn't work that way.

i actually read about this in a roland forum somewhere when i was researching this issue, someone with the same issue. does the fantom not play anything when triggered from the mpc?

had read somewhere that it has to do with midi clock on the synths themselves - that it isn't syncing to the count (ie measure#, note etc), but is only receiving note info, therefore triggering based on that alone.

what's perplexing is that the tempo is synced, so you would think that even if it's playing the sequence incorrectly, it would still stay in time.

a bit new to the world of midi connection still, so learning on the fly ;)
By bliprock Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:10 am
I actually have a Fantom XR and have had it running but I am not at home right now so will check later for you. I am pretty sure it can be done though.

OK ARP midi out from Korg synth like MS2000 and microkorg can be done and I have done this, BUT its different than normal operation from memory. You have to set the midi up different, again I can not remember from memory, but you can set it up to do this. I believe though its gotta be on AUTO to for ARP and then midi settings change to output it. For the life of me I can not remember but there is only a few settings to change in the midi. I will get back to ya about it soon
By _wheeljack_ Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:47 pm
@blip - tried it myself last night but wasn't able to record arp midi data from either the micro or the ms2k to the mpc, but i do have both set up purely as externally controlled, so i'll give auto a go this evening and see if that helps. let me know how it goes for you, cheers!
By Doc00Cosel Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:34 pm
_wheeljack_ wrote:
Doc00Cosel wrote:My MPC wont trigger the arpeggios on my Roland Fantom. Don't know if it's the MPC, or if the fantom doesn't work that way.

i actually read about this in a roland forum somewhere when i was researching this issue, someone with the same issue. does the fantom not play anything when triggered from the mpc?

had read somewhere that it has to do with midi clock on the synths themselves - that it isn't syncing to the count (ie measure#, note etc), but is only receiving note info, therefore triggering based on that alone.

what's perplexing is that the tempo is synced, so you would think that even if it's playing the sequence incorrectly, it would still stay in time.

a bit new to the world of midi connection still, so learning on the fly ;)

It will play a tone, just not the arpeggios. My workaround for now is sampling the keyboards main out to one of the pads on it. Works for now I guess.
By bliprock Tue Mar 17, 2015 2:44 am
LOCAL ON/OFF

this setting is not in the midi menu but in the global menu. Then I think its gotta be in Auto or off. Its not perfect but it does output the notes from the ARP like you want to. I still not had a go as my set up has changed and I have yet t even patch it in to check, but today I remembered that the local on/off was one of the main settings that need to be changed
By _wheeljack_ Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:00 pm
Will check this out on my end as well in a bit. Sadly my mode button has fully ceased to cooperate, so am in the process of deciding whether to replace only that or get a full right hand board upgrade through mpcstuff.
By _wheeljack_ Fri Apr 10, 2015 12:01 am
(sort of) closing a loop here ...

switched up to jjos and midi issue w/ arpeg is now a non-issue.

still haven't tried recording arpeg from synths to the mpc as midi data yet, but will get to that one of these days.